Co2 Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy24a

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Newbie here to corny kegs and Co2 tank. Got a new co2 5lb tank and got it filled. Put 5gallon in corny keg (new) and let it sit for 10 days under 15lbs pressure. Checked it after the 10 days my co2 tank was reading empty. Or maybe like a 16th of an inch off of the zero. Everything is new..do I have a leak? Seems so. There seems to be some gas left but not sure how much. Are they filled by weight? Could I weigh it to see how much is left?

If you look closely around the neck of your CO2 cylinder you will find a "Tare" value - the weight of the empty cylinder. You can use that with a decent scale to determine how much CO2 by weight remains.

Yes, you definitely bled the cylinder out prematurely - typically a five pound CO2 cylinder can carbonate numerous kegs - like in the 10-20 range - before exhaustion. I would start at the cylinder coupler: there should be either a captured gasket or O-ring at the tip of the regulator's coupler stem, or more commonly there's a bare metal end that requires a separate gasket, which can be either plastic or fiber, either will work.

Assuming there's some type of gasket/o-ring in place, the most likely leak will be at the keg. Still, once you get your cylinder refilled, hook it up with the regulator output shutoff closed, turn on the gas and paint all of the threaded connections into the regulator body with bubble fluid (50/50 water and dishwashing liquid) and make sure there are no leaks at that level.

Then, take note of the high pressure gauge reading, close the cylinder valve and let the system sit for awhile, and see if the high pressure gauge has dropped significantly over time. It shouldn't :) If you get through that point the only thing left is the keg - which is always the most likely cause of gas loss. The quickest way to figure out where the keg is leaking is to hook it up and stick the post end in a sink or bucket filled with water. That will expose lid leaks, post leaks and poppet leaks...

Cheers!

Very annoying, it's the trouble with Gas cylinders they just keep giving until empty.
A gauge to show flow would be so handy as flow of gas with no liquid loss ( ie pouring ) with kegs balanced indicates a leak.
As day_trippr says check for leaks, had the same problem myself with keg setup and lost a whole cylinder. Lucky I can get free refills at the moment, but I learnt my lesson.
Make a connection check for leaks, all the way back to the cylinder.

Yes very annoying for sure..Thank guys some good tips for me to look for. I just was surprised because everything is brand new. Will get it filled again and test for leaks everywhere.

Did you swap your tank or did you go somewhere to have it “filled”? When you go and have it “filled” it’s only filled the equal of the big tank, so if that big tank was almost empty then you didn’t get a full tank.

When I first started kegging I used to go to a local beer distributor andget it filled and it felt like I was always running out of Co2 so I got another tank and swapped it at a local Airgas and after I switched them that tank lasted like 10 times longer then I read on here somewhere about the whole tank filling not really being filled.

Yea I totally get not wanting to trade that brand new shiny tank but most places will try to swap whatever you bring in. And it only stings at first, unless you walk out with another brand new tank (which has happened before).

Weigh the tank with regulator on before you get it refilled.
Then weigh again after fill and reattach of the regulator.
Gives you a better idea of how much gas went in and about running out.

Newbie here to corny kegs and Co2 tank. Got a new co2 5lb tank and got it filled. Put 5gallon in corny keg (new) and let it sit for 10 days under 15lbs pressure. Checked it after the 10 days my co2 tank was reading empty. Or maybe like a 16th of an inch off of the zero. Everything is new..do I have a leak? Seems so. There seems to be some gas left but not sure how much. Are they filled by weight? Could I weigh it to see how much is left?
Get a regulator with both Hi and Lo pressure gauges. Check for leaks with soapy water spray or starsan. You should always have a spray bottle of starsan on hand anyway.

I had the same problem, I was burning through CO2 canisters and couldn't figure out why, even with sprays of starsan on the parts. Finally, I took the whole damn setup over to a local pool (actually, a hot tub) and submersed it all...tank, lines, manifolds, corny kegs...the works! That's when I found the leak to be coming from one of the valve junctions. If you have the ability I suggest you do the same.

Good plan heartofgold unless you get a leak from a connection fitting it all back together. It is the most frutrating thing, but once you have it leak free should stay that way unless you change something. Then be suspicious.

Back