CO2 Leaks/Where the is keg connection?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksig88

Reaction score
You guys may think im a noob cause of my post count, but that's ok, hopefully you can help me out anyways.....

Long story short, i bought a 2 homebrew faucet kit from keg connection, thinking it was the best kit on the market after reading almost every post on this website. Hooked it up to my 5cu ft freezer, pretty basic setup wood collar and all. Swapped one side to be sanke for now and the other to just my homebrew setup. I bought the kit a couple months ago and had 2 kegs (on my second right now) through the same faucet, and ive already burned through my second 5# co2 tank (just picked up my third yesterday). I know a 5# co2 should not go that fast.....So I checked for leaks (soapy water), resealed all co2 connections and made sure everything was tight before i hooked up my third co2 tank. Completely full yesterday, already to halfway point this morning, I also had turned off the main tank and its still leaking somewhere......PLEASE HELP!!!! This leak is costing me almost $60 in just co2, which definately could go towards my next beer!!

Ive tried to contact keg connection several times, called only and left numerous messages with my name and cell number and told them they could reach me anytime......NOTHING! So does anyone know if they only just ship their product out and not do customer service?!? I sent an email finally so we will see if they get back to me.....

Thanks for your help!

So you only have one keg hooked up but 2 gas lines. You Have homebrew connector on one line and sanke connector on the other. If this is correct and you are using the homebrew keg, the sanke tap can leak a bit if not connected to a keg. You might want to look there first.

Sanke is connected to a commercial keg, the other gas line is connected to the homebrew connector. Ive checked the homebrew connector and no leaks there....ive also resealed gas line to sanke tap

One thing you may have missed is on the CO2 tank you either need to have the valve fully closed or fully open. If you have it open only half way it can be a source of a leak.

This looks like a very slow leak. I had an issue on a custom valve I made like the one you describe. Soapy water was not enough. I had to put the whole valve under water to find the leak and then patch it.

just so that you are aware- the high pressure gauge on your CO2 tank is only good for telling you if the tank is empty or not. it will not tell you any more than that. it will not tell you if the tank is 40% full or 80% full. only if it is empty, or it isnt empty.

the reason is that fluctuations in the high pressure gauge are mainly due to temperature changes. the liquid in the tank will keep the pressure the same (at a given temperature) until there is no more liquid CO2 (at which point the tank is just about empty).

the only way to tell how full a CO2 tank is, is to weigh it.

there is nothing that keg connection is going to be able to do besides maybe RMA the whole system. they arent going to fly out there and find the leak for you. its not their responsibility to make sure you hook everything up correctly; they just sell the pieces, so dont get mad at them.

the only thing that is going to find the leak is you with a bottle of soapy water going over every single connection and joint until its found.

I always have it either all the way open or all the way closed. Ill try submerging it, that might be it.

just so that you are aware- the high pressure gauge on your CO2 tank is only good for telling you if the tank is empty or not. it will not tell you any more than that. it will not tell you if the tank is 40% full or 80% full. only if it is empty, or it isnt empty.

the reason is that fluctuations in the high pressure gauge are mainly due to temperature changes. the liquid in the tank will keep the pressure the same (at a given temperature) until there is no more liquid CO2 (at which point the tank is just about empty).

the only way to tell how full a CO2 tank is, is to weigh it.

there is nothing that keg connection is going to be able to do besides maybe RMA the whole system. they arent going to fly out there and find the leak for you. its not their responsibility to make sure you hook everything up correctly; they just sell the pieces, so dont get mad at them.

the only thing that is going to find the leak is you with a bottle of soapy water going over every single connection and joint until its found.

Good point but a full 5# c02 shouldnt go empty before i finish two kegs. thanks for the info though really did help. The only reason i was mad at keg connection is they didnt feel like returning my calls, i understand they cant fly out here and fix my leaks for me, the least they couldve done was to return my calls and give me some advice thats all i was looking for. Wouldnt you be pissed if you called 3 times and got nothing but voicemail and no reply?

Keg connection forgot to pack a keg for me and they responded in a day or so and got it all worked out. I have faith they will respond.

Well after i emailed them they got back to me.....i guess thats the way to go if you want to get a hold of them.

Good news is if i find the leak and its from one of their parts , they will send replacements.....now to find them.....

Have faith sometimes you don't actually find the leak but get it stopped. I had a similar situation on a much more complicated setup. One tank and dual gauge regulator then a 4 gang secondary regulator with one splitter to 2 gas lines. So I had 5 possible gas side leaks. Of the 5 gas supplies one fed a sanky the rest pin lock connectors. I started by testing my Cormys by pressuring up and let sitting overnight disconnected from gas. This proved out no leak in the Cormys. Then I submerged each gas connector and retightened each hose clamp. Never did find a leak in any connector but was able to further tighten some clamps. Then I soap sprayed each connector rapt at the secondary and primary regulator including the gauges. Again didn't locate anything. Having found no leaks on the Cormys or gas connectors I reconnected everything and watched it for a couple of days. Something was fixed because it's not leaking now. So long story short check every connector to be sure they are tight. I also am suspect or either gas connectors or snakys when they are not connected to a keg or corny. Good luck....

Try replacing the washer that goes between the CO2 valve and regulator. If its bad/damaged it can be the source of a slow leak and nearly impossible to pinpoint because of its location.

Thanks all for the helpful hints it really is a big help! Ill look into all of this...Thanks again!!

When I first hooked up my regulator, I had a leak. I could actually hear the hissing from the regulator itself. Lots of googling informed me that there is a small rubber part that is meant to blow if the pressure exceeds what the regulator can handle. Sometimes these aren't seated properly from the factory. Turning up the regulator very high helps to set that rubber part into place. It worked for me, instant fix.

Back