Co2 leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagon21

Reaction score
I kegged my first batch in a 3 gallon keg on Sunday. Set the pressure to 11 psi for slow carb. I wanted it to carb enough for Saturday. So I tested last night and it was carbing but I bumped the psi up to 20 to speed up the process.

This morning I checked on it before leaving for work and the psi is still at 20 but the gas gauge dropped right above the red area. (Yesterday it was around 40). Do I have a leak? The co2 tank is in the fridge. I checked for leaks when I kegged on Sunday but didn't find any. This morning I tightened everything up again. Still at work but interested to see if it dropped anymore when I get home. Also the first three days the gas gauge was steady. Not sure if bumping up the psi affected the gas gauge? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397754878.236386.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just got home and the gauge is back to where it was last night. Hmmm. I guess the moral of the story is to not rely on that gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When you put a room temp CO2 tank in the fridge you will often see a dramatic change in the supply gauge for a few hours. This is normal. If it has stabilized you likely do not have a leak. Many say the supply gauge is not accurate until you get to the very end of tank, 50 psi or so.

Back