CO2 Leak @ Regulator???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivman455

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a dual regulator setup from Kegcowboy.com a while back and since then I've moved the CO2 setup outside my keezer and mounted it to the collar. I used (2) MFL Bulkheads to run the CO2 lines through the side so the regulator would be easily adjusted with the lid closed. Recently, I've noticed a steady but VERY slow leak and I've been trying to pinpoint it with no luck. I've attached a picture of the setup.

My latest test concerns me... I closed both outlet valves and turned opened the CO2 valve to pressurize the regulator assembly. I then closed the tank valve and let checked the pressure periodically. I've sprayed the whole thing down with soapy water and noticed NO bubbles of any size but I AM losing pressure. To take this picture I pressurized everything (needle was centered in the "green zone") and in the time it took me to pull out my phone and take the picture the needle, as you can see in the picture, is almost out of the "green zone" making it's steady decline to the dreaded red that means I have to make another trip to get the tank filled again. :mad:

The regulators are TapRite and the assembly attaches to the tank with the built-in rubber O-ring seal. I have also tried using a nylon washer in conjuction with this, with no luck... I still loose pressure. I'm down (2) 10# tanks so far and I'm just opening the CO2 canister as needed so I don't lose a 3rd. Any ideas? What am I missing?

CO2 Exterior.jpg

I bought the same dual body set up from Kegconnection last february. Had the exact same problem. Turned out it was the regulator on the left that was leaking. Apparently, under the red adjusting knob there is a small hole. The regulator body itself was leaking out of that little hole, so it was impossible to locate. I went through 25 lbs of co2 before I figured it out. One email to taprite and they immediately placed a replacement order for me through Kegconnection. Taprite has excellect customer service. If its still under warranty, it would be worth your time to contact them.

Thanks for the advise! Did you contact Kegconnection or TapRite directly? Did they send you a new regulator or did you have to send your in for repairs/replacement (which would obviously be a bummer, since during that period of time the kegs would be rendered mere holding tanks... trapping all my precious liquid gold inside). How did you locate the leaking hole? Can those red knobs be removed? Sorry for the barrage of questions... but with only (1) response so far I'll take all the advise I can get.

Thanks for the advise! Did you contact Kegconnection or TapRite directly? Did they send you a new regulator or did you have to send your in for repairs/replacement (which would obviously be a bummer, since during that period of time the kegs would be rendered mere holding tanks... trapping all my precious liquid gold inside). How did you locate the leaking hole? Can those red knobs be removed? Sorry for the barrage of questions... but with only (1) response so far I'll take all the advise I can get.

I actually sent an email to Taprite asking for advice on how to take off that red knob and to test it. They sent an email back apologizing that I had a problem with their regulator and that they took the liberty of calling Kegconnection to place the order. Within an hour I had a shipping notification email from Kegconnection. Neither Kegconnection nor Taprite ever requested me to return the old one. I just tossed the old one into the cabinet in case I find some use for it in the future, but replacing it cured my problem...so its pretty much useless right now in my mind.
I figured the problem out simillar to the way you troubleshot yours. I first sprayed star san all over everything, then I dunked what I could into a bucket of water, then I went out and bought a leak detector solution. Finally, I realized that alhough my tank would go empty, I still had pressure on the low pressure guages... then it dawned on me that I had a leak on the high pressure side and I couldn't check that hole because of the red knob. That spurred my email to Taprite... they stood up, took responsibility, and saved me a ton of time and aggravation. Despite the problem with one regulator, they will have me as a life long customer.

I actually sent an email to Taprite asking for advice on how to take off that red knob and to test it. They sent an email back apologizing that I had a problem with their regulator and that they took the liberty of calling Kegconnection to place the order. Within an hour I had a shipping notification email from Kegconnection. Neither Kegconnection nor Taprite ever requested me to return the old one. I just tossed the old one into the cabinet in case I find some use for it in the future, but replacing it cured my problem...so its pretty much useless right now in my mind.
I figured the problem out simillar to the way you troubleshot yours. I first sprayed star san all over everything, then I dunked what I could into a bucket of water, then I went out and bought a leak detector solution. Finally, I realized that alhough my tank would go empty, I still had pressure on the low pressure guages... then it dawned on me that I had a leak on the high pressure side and I couldn't check that hole because of the red knob. That spurred my email to Taprite... they stood up, took responsibility, and saved me a ton of time and aggravation. Despite the problem with one regulator, they will have me as a life long customer.

Bit of an old thread but thought I'd chime in with a similar problem and resolution. After going through a 20lb co2 tank in a few weeks while I was on summer hiatus on brewing (sacrilege I know, but golly it's hot here, okay?). I didn't have any kegs connected, all regulator and manifold valves were turned off but the regulator was still attached to the co2 tank with the tank's valves still open... turns out I had leak on the main body here: http://i.imgur.com/P9KME.jpg

I emailed KegConnection whom I ordered from 4 months previous at around 5, and just got a call back less than 24 hours later they're working with TapRite to help me out.

To quote this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/broken-regulator-270931/

Kegconnection is A++ :ban:

Back