CO2 leak or mistake on my part?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Ok, so since I built the kegerator I've only changed the kegs on tap once(4 kegs total for my 2 taps). The first time I changed them out I had my extra keg full and ready to go and just swapped the kegs after cleaning the lines within minutes of emptying the spent kegs. I just finished these last 2 kegs. One was emptied 2 nights ago, the 2nd was emptied tonight as I was bottling a nut brown(bottled first, didn't realize I was going to have 2 empty kegs til I got to the next batch) and kegging a batch of Edwort's Apfelwein.

Anyway, so I didn't close off the gas line on the keg that was emptied 2 nights ago, so the only thing keeping the gas in was the tap. I'm assuming the taps aren't air tight and that without a tube full of liquid behind it all my CO2 probably leaked out the tap. Would that be a correct assumption or should I be going over all my connections with the soapy water and looking for bubbles once I get the tank refilled?

I have a 20Lbs tank so I am assuming I should have gotten more than 4 kegs with that, I also find it a bit suspicious that the tank lasted exactly long enough to empty my last 2 kegs and then ran out of gas.

I've been slacking on brewing lately due to lack of time, but am planning on doing an extact and an AG batch this coming sunday to get caught back up and ensure I have full kegs.

You have a major leak somewhere. A 20 pounder should be good for carbing and serving more than 20 kegs.

Yes, but would it be reasonable to assume that the leak was the perlick with an empty beer line behind it?

I find it highly suspicious that my tank lasted me for over 5 months and lasted just long enough to dispense the last drops of beer out of both kegs. If it were a leak in the actual gas lines I would have expected it to empty itself months ago.

It is very possible. Perlicks are designed to maintain closure with the presence of fluid pressure. Gas could possibly leak through the seal without issue. BTW, I did not see that your setup was ok for 5 months before. (Until you just mentioned it).

The fix for next time? (Also the ultimate proof test) Pull the keg disconnects and then shut off the CO² for it as well.

Back