CO2 leak detection process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norselord

Reaction score
Dear HBTers,

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughtful responses.

I am going through a bottle of CO2 every 4 weeks or so, and I'm thinking i have a CO2 leak somewhere.

My setup:
CO2 tank > dual gauge 2 port regulator > T tubing (one side to manifold the other for a better bottle filler) > 6 way manifold > 6 kegs (pix attached)
IMG_3800.JPG IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3802.JPG

What i have already tried:
1) spray everything with star san and look for bubbles
2) redone all tubing and connections from kegs to regulator
3) filled a bucket with water and had each segment under water and under pressure to seek out bubbles.

Is there a process to track down these leaks? How would i test (other than what i have already done) the following:
- keg lid o-rings
- better bottler attachment
- gauge/regulator assembly
- anything else?

Im stumped and spending too much on CO2

Cheers,
Norselord

So you have systematically checked for leaks through the line....One thing I noticed (might NOT be a problem at all for you) is the clamps you are using.... Those tend to have a flat side on them and could cause deformity albeit oh so slight, but when the temp changes from malleable room temp as you test and tighten, the cold could, and does change things.
I mention that as the taped stuff and non malleable stuff is going to stay pretty even.

One last thing ( I read about ) that Ball locks sometimes do not seal as good as one would think. Your Poppet gasket on the female side if you are able to test the male side with soap and water charged?
There is also the outside O ring on the Keg stem that plays a part too.

What I would do is:

1. Disconnect gas from all kegs. Leave the rest of the lines pressurized. Turn off the main gas on the CO2 tank. Leave all components where they are (I.e. if they are cold, keep them cold as this can affect pressure)
2. Leave it this way for 48 hours.
3. Check if the pressure has dropped on your low pressure gauge. If so, the problem is not with the kegs (see gas system troubleshooting)
4. If the problem is with the kegs, pop the release valve on each to see if any have lost pressure. Better yet, if you have a spunding valve, pop that on to see if the pressure is lower on any. If all seem to have pressure, you may need to fill a bathtub and submerge each while pressurized to check for small leaks.

Gas system troubleshooting
1. If the problem is in the lines/reg/manifold, did you fully submerge the 6-way manifold while pressurized? And the T? Could be an easy fix.
2. If already checked. Again work through the system. Close valves on the main regulator while pressurized and turn off main gas. wait and see if the low pressure gauge drops. If so, the problem is between the reg and tank connection. Get a new gasket for it
3. If step 2 held, close all valves on 6-way manifold and open valve on regulator to pressurize. turn main gas off. Wait 48 hours to see if pressure drops on low pressure gauge. If so, problem is between the reg and manifold.
4 Otherwise the problem is the 6-way manifold

not a quick fix, but hope one of the steps finds it for ya!

Another technique to use is what I call the pressure gauge method. You isolate portions of your system, pressurize them, add a gauge and let them sit. If nothing changes, the leak isn't in that area. One spot I would really look at is your gas post orings. There is no great way to check that for leaks because it's only in play with a QD engaged. If you were to soak a QD with star san or try to spray some under there to detect for leaks, you can't see small bubbles. The pressure gauge method helps to detect issues here.

Latest posts

Back