CO2 grades

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithchar526

Reaction score
So I have been trying to find a good answer on this but everything I read has people saying something different.

Food grade vs beverage grade vs industrial grade CO2....and then paint ball co2

From what I have read the CO2 is basically the same with the difference being how it’s handled/stored. Then some say paintball co2 can have oil in it.

I would just buy from my home brew store (great fermentation’s) but they don’t exchange or fill 20# tanks anymore plus it’s 40mins away. So my next option is a tool rental supply store which I assume would be used in welding applications.

Really I don’t need a 20lb tank and just want another 5lb tank so might just sell it and continue to fill at great fermentation’s but having problem justify the purchase of a smaller tank when I could just refill the one I have.

Anyone who has done real research have any input on gas quality’s?

I've always gone through a gas distributor "Airgas" as it's close to me and has good prices on 20#. Definitely says beverage grade on the tank, but they don't fill, only swap 20# as it takes too long to fill a container of that size "on-demand"

I'm curious to hear other experiences on bulk fills/swaps and apparent quality.

I've bought from a local "gases" company and from a local welding supply store here in Manhattan and don't notice any difference. I'd relax about it and just use what you can get nearest to you with the best price.

Rev.

I get my gas from a large welding supply store near me.
As explained to me, "Food Grade" and Beverage Grade" are the same. The only difference between Food grade and "standard industrial" are the tanks.
Food grade tanks are marked at the collar and are also registered with a number. This certifies that no other gas has come into contact with the tank. It also certifies that the tank has been completed purged prior to filling.
The gas itself is exactly the same.
So all I do when exchanging tanks is to make sure the tank is food grade.

I get my gas from a large welding supply store near me.
As explained to me, "Food Grade" and Beverage Grade" are the same. The only difference between Food grade and "standard industrial" are the tanks.
Food grade tanks are marked at the collar and are also registered with a number. This certifies that no other gas has come into contact with the tank. It also certifies that the tank has been completed purged prior to filling.
The gas itself is exactly the same.
So all I do when exchanging tanks is to make sure the tank is food grade.

Is it a sticker label or imprinted in the metal?

I've always gone through a gas distributor "Airgas" as it's close to me and has good prices on 20#. Definitely says beverage grade on the tank, but they don't fill, only swap 20# as it takes too long to fill a container of that size "on-demand"

I'm curious to hear other experiences on bulk fills/swaps and apparent quality.

I get my tanks filled at a fire protection company. They fill my 20 lb tank while I wait. Doesn't take much longer than my 5 lb tanks.

Back