CO2 for purging headspace using empty seltzer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aa760

Reaction score
Greetings HBT'rs! I bottle condition and therefore don't have a CO2 tank laying around, yet I have heard of the benefits of purging an empty carboy with CO2 before racking to secondary or transferring beer for bottling. I do have a seltzer bottle around- the kind that takes the CO2 or nitrous cartridges for soda or whip cream, shown below. Anyone out there use this device to create a CO2 layer for transfers? I figure I can just plug the charging canister in with the liquid part empty and get the gas to run through and into an empty carboy or bottling bucket before transfer. Is it sanitary (assuming I sanitize the apparatus)? I would get the thoughts of the community before doing it, in case I am missing something as I have never purged with CO2. Thanks for your advice.:mug:

seltzer.jpg

Using that could get expensive. Those cartridges will add up.

I don't think the expense would be worth it IMO. However, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I do use CO2 to transfer to a keg/carboy, so I do purge with CO2. I don't worry about purging bottles though. I think O2 absorbing caps and careful bottling takes care of most of the O2 issues.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. I purge my secondary with a kit I bought from Williams Bewing 2 years ago. Just screw in the 46g cartridge and turn on the valve for 5-10 seconds. I have not seen if offered online recently so I don't know if it was discontinued. As I recall it cost around $25 and each cartridge cost about $5. The cartridges don't last very long and it does get expensive.

Back