CO2 Filling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisshafer1

Reaction score
I just set my kegerator up about a month ago. I had my CO2 tank filled at a paintball place but they didn't fill it with pressurized gas they filled it with liquid CO2. My regulator says 500lbs (which is in the red) and I get a funny aftertaste. I have the flow set at 8lbs, the beer comes out correct, the head is correct but I have that aftertaste. Any idea how to correct this? Is there a difference between liquid and gas CO2?

it will not come out of your tank as a liquid unless it has a siphon tube in it

that is how they fill from a tank to a tank

the after taste could be because their gas is not as clean as say medical/food grade

I know some of the paint-ball places around here have a oil/lubricant in their gas for the guns

all the best

S_M

CO2 is liquid under pressure (and extremely low temps). When the CO2 comes out it expands in to a gas.

As Bobby and Brew say, the paintball place might not have the most clean setup. They typically leave their tanks outdoors or exposed to the wind and dirt and in my experience, they don't clean the nozzles. Could be that, but theres a possibility it's from some piece of equipment in your setup.

You can definitely get more CO2 in your tank if it's in the red zone. I'd take it to some place that knows how to properly fill them. Welding supply or equipment shops. I dont know if Home Depot can do that or not? And some (mine does) LHBS.

Back