CO2 Cylinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes57

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm just being /really/ dumb (wouldn't be the first time, probably won't be the last). I know with propane, you're supposed to turn the valve completely on and then adjust the flow with the regulator. Are CO2 cylinders the same way? I've already drained two 5# cylinders on two different cornies that didn't even turn out...sad face.

You have a leak.

Yeah, crank it open and you should get 12-15 kegs out of it.

Sounds like a leak to me. I just give my cylinder a good turn...don't bother to open it fully up. A 20# tank will last me a year or more carbonating and pushing a 5 keg kegerator.

Hmm....that's unfortunate. What's the likelihood of having a leak on the liquid side rather than the gas side? On my last keg, I hooked up the gas at about 12 psi for about a week and a half and it didn't seem to drain the cylinder, but a few days after I hooked up the liquid connector, it had been emptied. Maybe the gremlins like my beer?

You could have a leak at a connection in the lines, in the gasket of your keg or those poppets will get stuck too. Feel for you man. Those things can be a pain to track down but you'll know when you find it.

Its hard to have a leak on the beer side that doesn't result in the beer leaking out too.

I would check the gas lines where they connect to the disconnect and the regulator. Make sure they aren't being bent a funny angle and allowing gas out.

I put screw clamps on all my gas lines despite being told 12 psi isn't enough to need clamps, mainly because I DID have a leak by the flared fitting.

also teflon tape is your friend.

Spray all the gas fittings down with a squirt bottle of starsan solution, it should bubble and tell you where the leak is.

Time to get the cylinder filled again and test it out. Fortunately, CO2 for a 5# cylinder is only about $15. At least, as far as I've found.

Latest posts

Back