CO2 cartridges dead... HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Reaction score
Help please

had 3 cartridges of CO2 for my Portable kegerator. All three are dead. need a quick fix, Is paintball CO2 o k or does it need to be food grade?

going skeet shooting in the morning ( getting ready for dove season)

thanks in advanced

I don't have experience but my guess is that for a one-time portable use...it doesn't matter.

I guess I don't see the difference between CO2 and food grade CO2...or of there is such a thing.

Go for it and don't shoot your eye out.

I was reading this post and was like "This guy is drinking and shooting guns..." then I noticed you were from Texas "Oh, ok, never mind." (BTW, I love Texas)
:mug:

BierMuncher said:
I guess I don't see the difference between CO2 and food grade CO2...or of there is such a thing.

My guess would be oil and water content from the filling process. That's the big difference between plain old compressed air and scuba tank air.

That said, since you're not inhaling it, a few micro grams of oil is not a big deal.

EdWort said:
So??.......

:D

Some places care about these kind of things. That's what's great about Texas, do it, keep to yourself, and no one cares. If you shoot someone in the face, well, that might be different (unless you are Dick Cheney).

here's the thing: paintball specific CO2 bulbs may in fact contain lubricant. I've heard that 'rumor', but I know for a fact that airsoft guns that use green gas...well that 'green gas' is actually lubricated propane to keep the gun working and so it won't cool the bulb so fast that you lose velocity.

chances are it'd be silicone though, which is fairly harmless, especially in the quantities you'd see. it'd kill the beer head though.

I've been buying mine at Walmart and have not noticed any oil slicks on my beer. Just read the labels and there was nothing about any oil in them.

I used to play a lot at the paintball field, i had a fully auto gun that i ran a 20 oz co2 tank on. When i would go through long periods of rapid fire the gun would cool off and emit fog like condensation. I would always breakdown and clean/lube the gun at this point. I never noticed any lube, not even after the tank was brand new. hope this helps.

I went to wall mart the night before and looked at the paintball carts. it said not for human consumption , so i lugged my 20# tank around. portable kegerator worked great on its maiden voyage

My son fills paintball guns from my garage. I pick up CO2 for him at the same place I buy mine. It's a welding supply place. Trust me, welders don't want impurities in their gas any more than brewers do. The only difference between his 50 pounder and mine is that his is called a siphon tank that actually expels the liquid portion from a tube that reaches to the bottom of the tank. When my portable five pounder runs out, I'll fill it from his tank without hesitation.

Back