Co2 carbonation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Kegerator temp 38°f co2 cabination at 11ps for 3 weeks to achieve the carbonation level that I desire .... When I chang the psi to 5psi for dispensing , I believe that my keg dispensers at 11psi that i carbonated at , Not the 5 psi that I set to pour out the faucet . Question , Should I burp the keg off to dispense at the 5psi that I desire ? Will I loose cabination if I reduce to 5psi for dispensing ?

i'm curious why you're trying to serve at a lower psi then what it's equalized at? even if you vent the keg, the co2 will reprusserize the keg in a few minutes...(i guess depending of much has been poured already)

Should I burp the keg off to dispense at the 5psi that I desire ? Will I loose cabination if I reduce to 5psi for dispensing ?
Not immediately, but if left at 5 psi the carbonation will slowly decrease to that of 5 psi, just like leaving it at 11 psi slowly increased it to that carbonation level. It works both ways.

I too am curious why you want to dispense at lower than desired carbonation level. That is unusual, and bleeding off keg pressure every time you want a beer seems like a lot of work and will waste a lot of CO2.

If you are bleeding off the pressure to prevent foamy pours at 11 psi, then you would be better served by getting beer dispense lines of the appropriate ID and length. This will allow you to dispense at the same pressure as used for carbonation, and will reduce wasted CO2.

Standard 3/16" ID vinyl line needs about 1 foot of length per psi to balance out the keg pressure and get good pours. A good calculator (that also goes thru the physics if interested) is here. There are other calculators on-line, but many of them use an incorrect value for line resistance, so you end up with lines that are too short for good pours.

You should really look into EVA barrier beer and gas line, as it comes in smaller ID's (so shorter lengths can be used) and minimizes O2 diffusion into the keg from the atmosphere. 4mm ID is good for beer and 5mm ID is good for gas. This type of line also works best with push on fittings (John Guest, DuoTight, etc.) that are easier to work with than standard barbs.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back