CO2 Bottle Refill Costs?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local soda manufacture (starting to become a LHBS too) is $20 for a 20 lb tank refill. Last time they told me after June I will need a re-cert for $20.
When I went to AirGas (I didn't know about my local soda manufacture then) I paid $80 for a tank exchange (re-cert needed). Shop around people.

My gas/oxygen place charges about $30 to fill all sizes. They're essentially just charging for labor. They're cheaper than my LHBS. I started with a 10lb and 5lb I bought cheap off craigslist but have upgraded tank sizes a few times. Swapped the 5 for another 10 and last time when I refilled I paid the one time cost to upgrade my 10lb to a 20. Definitely much cheaper in the long run to use the largest tank you can manage.
Roberts? I just traded in my first tank and it was $29 for 5lb. Depressing reading most of the posts here.

Roberts? I just traded in my first tank and it was $29 for 5lb. Depressing reading most of the posts here.
Yeah, I go to the Roberts in Merrifield. I started with a 5lb and it was annoying filling it up alot and knowing the refill cost was basically the same as the bigger tanks. They will upgrade to bigger tank size for you, for a cost. I was trying to find a used 20lb for cheap but finally gave up and just paid them to upgrade it. Should pay for itself fairly quickly though if you brew alot.

Planning to upgrade to 20# from CL after reading this...
There are a couple liquor stores nearby that I've heard fill tanks...still need to check them out after last time I went to Airgas and paid $35 for a swap (mine forces a recert fee every time!) I suppose that's one way of saying "we don't want your business".

FWIW, a few from the SF Bay area (CA)...
These were from refill service in November at Acme Fire in Oakland:

5# $20.75 (hydro $23)
20# $40
50# $102 (hydro $45)

Pricing has gone significantly up there recently, tho I haven't done any checking with other vendors yet so unsure if this is now typical for this area. The previous refill trip, ~18 mos back, they were $17 for #5 and $20 for 20#.

Yeah, I go to the Roberts in Merrifield. I started with a 5lb and it was annoying filling it up alot and knowing the refill cost was basically the same as the bigger tanks. They will upgrade to bigger tank size for you, for a cost. I was trying to find a used 20lb for cheap but finally gave up and just paid them to upgrade it. Should pay for itself fairly quickly though if you brew alot.
So I screwed up my first tank. Bought a keezer and all the tanks/lines and got my first kegged beer up and running. A few days later I went down to pull a draft and tank is on zero. I thought I had tightened everything, but I didn't do a check with soap, so shame on me. Was a $29 mistake (less the CO2 I used for the first keg).

Went to Roberts today and they confirmed that I can trade up to a 10# tank for about $30 and the refills are only about $2 more than a 5#. The only catch is they said they don't always have 10# tanks on hand, so I'd need to call ahead to make sure they had one ready to go. I stuck with the 5# today just until I can perform a leak check.

So I screwed up my first tank. Bought a keezer and all the tanks/lines and got my first kegged beer up and running. A few days later I went down to pull a draft and tank is on zero. I thought I had tightened everything, but I didn't do a check with soap, so shame on me. Was a $29 mistake (less the CO2 I used for the first keg).

Went to Roberts today and they confirmed that I can trade up to a 10# tank for about $30 and the refills are only about $2 more than a 5#. The only catch is they said they don't always have 10# tanks on hand, so I'd need to call ahead to make sure they had one ready to go. I stuck with the 5# today just until I can perform a leak check.
It happens man. I haven't lost a tank in a while but I have lost a couple. Definitely annoying. Once it was because of my handsy 6 year old who turned the valve to open while the tank was sitting in the garage without a regulator. Definitely get the bigger tank as soon as you can swing it. You'll make up the upgrade cost real quick.

I just called my local supplier to inquire their process now with COVID-19 pandemic. They told me: they now clean their equipment and tanks after each refill with chlorine and other items; they only fill for a two hour period each day; and their price on a 20 lb tank has gone from roughly $23.75 to $30 including taxes. They said the extra cost is to cover their cleaning process.

What are you experiencing from your suppliers? Any price increase?

I have not had to refill my CO2 tank yet. I did notice today that one is getting a bit low.

It will probably need to be swapped soon. I checked out their web site and all they say is to call them before going over so they will have the swap ready when you stop by. I believe it is the same $6.99 for a 20 lb swap.

I get mine filled at a fire extinguisher company. They are still operating as usual. When I went there with my mask on, I said, "how do you know I am not here to hold you up."
He replied, "the CO2 bottle gave you away." He also told me that Co2 refills for homebrewers was pretty much all he was doing these days. And they are a pretty good size outfit. As always, he charged me $12 for a five pound bottle.

Why not trade up to a 20#?

That said the 5# tanks are a charm when serving on location, maybe keep one around if you do those. Dragging that 20# around is a bit of a nuisance, but those 5 to 10 times a year I can still handle. Doesn't look we're having events any time soon. A few got canceled already. :(

Or keep the 5# for location/travel/backyard party, and buy a used 20# as your main tank. New ones were selling for $35, not that long ago. There's a thread about them.

Last edited:
I have not had to refill my CO2 tank yet. I did notice today that one is getting a bit low.

It will probably need to be swapped soon. I checked out their web site and all they say is to call them before going over so they will have the swap ready when you stop by. I believe it is the same $6.99 for a 20 lb swap.

Damn, that's a great price!!!! I guess I'll be calling around.

A 25%+ price increase seemed unreasonable. Plus, since they have 40% (or was it 60%?) of the business for local restaurants and breweries, and with everything closed, I'm sure they are hurting. So, I'm thinking that had something to do with increasing prices.

Hey @bracconiere or @Dave Sarber, who do you buy your CO2 from?

i just do a swap on my 20lb'er at Phoenix Welding Supply....usually about $27, lasts me a about 10 months....( but now that a super cool digital postal scale i keep it on, maybe longer, think i already caught a leak after just 1 oz....)

I thought you were in southern AZ...south east area....no? Are you driving to Phoenix for other reasons?

The Air Gas place I use can be expensive and for 5 pound tanks they can charge up to $28. I have brought in my beers to those guys over the years and they take care of me. They charge me $21 for a 5 pound tank. The other day I exchanged my 10 pound tank and I lucked out. The guy told me that the credit card machine was down and asked me if I had any cash on me. He then apologized and said just give me $15 so I did well! When I exchange my 20 pound beer gas tank for my nitro system they usually charge me $26 dollars so not too bad.

John

Damn, that's a great price!!!! I guess I'll be calling around.

A 25%+ price increase seemed unreasonable. Plus, since they have 40% (or was it 60%?) of the business for local restaurants and breweries, and with everything closed, I'm sure they are hurting. So, I'm thinking that had something to do with increasing prices.

Hey @bracconiere or @Dave Sarber, who do you buy your CO2 from?

Brew Your Own Brew, on Campbell north of Grant. You have to buy the bottle from them, and then it's $20 per refill. 5 lb bottles only.

Brew Your Own Brew, on Campbell north of Grant. You have to buy the bottle from them, and then it's $20 per refill. 5 lb bottles only.

I buy from them as well but not for CO2. They are very convenient since I can alter my route to and from work easily so as I pass by them. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, they exchange 5 lbs only.

I guess the $30 for 20 lbs in this area is the new going price. I'll still call around in the next couple days.

I'm just getting back to brewing after moving and did my first 5lb CO2 refill the other day at a local beer distributor (PA folks understand) and they didn't charge me since I bought some beer there. But otherwise I think it is $5. For you Philly area folks, its Beer World in Glenside. Cheers.

I'm just getting back to brewing after moving and did my first 5lb CO2 refill the other day at a local beer distributor (PA folks understand) and they didn't charge me since I bought some beer there. But otherwise I think it is $5. For you Philly area folks, its Beer World in Glenside. Cheers.
Air-Gas in Ft Myers is charging $ 40.00 pols tax for 20 lb

South Texas, Airgas is most expensive. I use Praxair. Talked them into contract price. Exchanged multiple first go.$79 for 2 20lbs and a 5lb.. keep eye on craigslist.

N. Central Florida here and I pay $19 (cash price) at a fire extinguisher shop for a 5# refill. When my stamp expires, I swap at Airgas which is $29+tax. Those are literally the only two places in town, so no way to shop around. I did see an ancient and dusty 20# tank in my neighbors garage that he used to use to “grow plants” and he said he’d give it to me for some beer. Just scared to see how much the swap costs at Airgas for that badboy if it’s already a rip for the 5#...

I recently had 2, 5# filled at Tops Liquors here in Tempe AZ for $7.00 each. That is the cheapest I have seen in my area, that is half of what I have been paying.

That's a pretty attractive price for a 5 lb tank. I just called them and the guy said they charge $1.50/lb out the door regardless of the tank size. So my 20lb tank would be $30 which is the same price in Tucson. I guess I will not be seeing anything lower in the area....

lol, just thinking about all you fancy boys with nice aluminum tanks.....i remember when i had mine filled, till i loaned it for someone 'growing things', and they had it swapped, just been swapping ever since....

lol, just thinking about all you fancy boys with nice aluminum tanks.....i remember when i had mine filled, till i loaned it for someone 'growing things', and they had it swapped, just been swapping ever since....
I was a little apprehensive to swap my new aluminum tank, but that is ALL they do here. Fortunately I found a guy who keeps a stock of shiny aluminum tanks for his homebrewer customers.

you know once when i did a 20lb swap, and they only had a REALLY ugly steel tank to give me, i got a discount......i just laughed, they were the ones that gave me the pretty aluminum one as a swap last time.....

you know once when i did a 20lb swap, and they only had a REALLY ugly steel tank to give me, i got a discount......i just laughed, they were the ones that gave me the pretty aluminum one as a swap last time.....
I prefer aluminum, and don't hate the shine either.

When I stopped by Praxair for a 20# swap they only had steel tanks on the lot. I drag that tank around all the time, so that was out. Aside for the extra weight, they don't have a handle!

My wife picked up an aluminum swap at another Praxair location. It was stamped Roberts Oxygen, another gas supplier here, but much too expensive last time I called.

So they take each others' bottles. :D
$25.

My LHBS used to charge around $17-18, although they just shut their doors about a week ago.

I went to the local Praxair the last two swaps, as I heard they were cheaper. It wound up being a little over $20 for a 5lb tank. There's a 'hazard' fee of about $8 included in it. I tend to think they're ripping me off to some extent though, because I remember calling them sometime last year to get a quote, and they said it was like $12-13 all-in. And my last receipt said '10 lb tank' on it. I asked about it, and they said it was a typo but I was only charged for the 5 lb tank.

I swapped my tank today as the local Praxair. The first two times, it was over $20 with their 'hazard' fee. It was a young guy that was at the register both times. Today I got the older man, who seems like the owner (or manager). It was $11 and change with no hazard fee.

Hopefully I get that guy next time.

I swapped my tank today as the local Praxair. The first two times, it was over $20 with their 'hazard' fee. It was a young guy that was at the register both times. Today I got the older man, who seems like the owner (or manager). It was $11 and change with no hazard fee.

Hopefully I get that guy next time.
I run into the same thing here. The manager of the WestAir is a homebrewer also and always charges around $12 but at least half the time there is a younger guy there ringing up who charges about $18.

I did swap out one of my 20 lb tanks today at Way to Grow.
Here is the receipt:
full

Back