CO2 Bottle Refill Costs?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did swap out one of my 20 lb tanks today at Way to Grow.
Here is the receipt:
full

Wayne, you are so lucky! I'm envious!

Last Wednesday I called and spoke with the owner of where I go and he gave me the same pricing as he did before ~ $30 out the door. I asked if they were still open and filling this Saturday and he said they would be but would close a hour earlier.

So, this morning I drive over there only to find out the owner decided Thursday night to let people go and to stop filling tanks on Saturday. There was only one employee inside and all the lights were out.

I learned my lesson as I should have called this morning. I actually thought about it by decided not to since I directly spoke with the owner on Wednesday. Maybe he found out he didn't get his Paycheck Protection Program. I believe they ran out of money Wednesday......

Oh well, there are worse things in life.

BTW @Dave Sarber, Campbell Ave looked like a ghost town as everything was closed. The strip mall where BYOB was empty...zero activity.

Wayne, you are so lucky! I'm envious!

Last Wednesday I called and spoke with the owner of where I go and he gave me the same pricing as he did before ~ $30 out the door. I asked if they were still open and filling this Saturday and he said they would be but would close a hour earlier.

So, this morning I drive over there only to find out the owner decided Thursday night to let people go and to stop filling tanks on Saturday. There was only one employee inside and all the lights were out.

I learned my lesson as I should have called this morning. I actually thought about it by decided not to since I directly spoke with the owner on Wednesday. Maybe he found out he didn't get his Paycheck Protection Program. I believe they ran out of money Wednesday......

Oh well, there are worse things in life.

BTW @Dave Sarber, Campbell Ave looked like a ghost town as everything was closed. The strip mall where BYOB was empty...zero activity.

I went there this morning and picked up grain. You have to order on their website, and pick it up at the door.

BTW, you can only pick up between 11 and 3. But they don't open until noon on Sunday, so I guess 12 to 3 Sunday.

There's a guy there named Evan, very helpful.

I deal with Evan regularly and he really tries to help. I drove past BYOB this morning around 10:00 AM and then again around 10:30 AM. Their sign indicated they were open but there were no cars in the the entire parking lot. I didn't know how they were doing business so that now makes sense.

Luckily, I have over 300 lbs of different grains I picked up when they went on sale....I'm good for now except for damn CO2!!!

I deal with Evan regularly and he really tries to help. I drove past BYOB this morning around 10:00 AM and then again around 10:30 AM. Their sign indicated they were open but there were no cars in the the entire parking lot. I didn't know how they were doing business so that now makes sense.

Luckily, I have over 300 lbs of different grains I picked up when they went on sale....I'm good for now except for damn CO2!!!
You will probably have to call the shop for CO2. If you haven't already noticed, their website is sub-par. They show empty bottles on the site, but no refill options.

I went to refill my 5lb tank today. The hydro test date was expired so I could pay $27 to have it recertified out $25 to swap it. I chose to swap it, so $25 plus $15 for the gas. This was a one time free, so future bottle swaps will be $15 and no more concerns about hydro testing dates.

I went to refill my 5lb tank today. The hydro test date was expired so I could pay $27 to have it recertified out $25 to swap it. I chose to swap it, so $25 plus $15 for the gas. This was a one time free, so future bottle swaps will be $15 and no more concerns about hydro testing dates.
Check the date when you swap. Jus' sayin'.

As @bleme suggested earlier in this thread, people should check out hydroponics equipment suppliers.

A quick google search turned up this group in MI:
https://www.horizenhydroponics.com/services/co2-tank-exchange

Thanks for the tip Wayne and you too @bleme. There are three hydroponics suppliers near me and a forth miles and miles away. When I called the only one that is opened today, they quoted $18 for a 20 lb tank exchange. That is cheaper than the $30 quote from the guy I bought from last year and went to on Saturday.

I've always been leery participating in an exchange program. It is probably nonsense on my part. Do you have any tips such as requesting a tank with greater than a year certification on it, etc.?

Why not trade up to a 20#?

That said the 5# tanks are a charm when serving on location, maybe keep one around if you do those. Dragging that 20# around is a bit of a nuisance, but those 5 to 10 times a year I can still handle. Doesn't look we're having events any time soon. A few got canceled already. :(

Or keep the 5# for location/travel/backyard party, and buy a used 20# as your main tank. New ones were selling for $35, not that long ago. There's a thread about them.

i have a hard time believing this. you're saying you can buy a 20# tank for $35? or did you mean fill a tank for 35...?

I go to a welding supply place kind of off the beaten path somewhere between suburbia and farm country surrounded by ranches.
I called them up and they are still filling tanks.
They charge me $5 if I bring cash and are friendly to guys like us.
Otherwise they have to charge me more if it's run with a card.

i'm close to needing a refill so i'm curious if prices went up.
The one thing i'm wondering about is my 20oz paintball tank.
I use that for my cooler keggerator with 2 3 gal kegs.
it fits right inside.

I get it filled at dicks normally and it's still got some life since it's only had to push beer from 4 3 gal kegs.
but, Dicks isn't open right now.
they also charge me more than a 5 gallon tank.

Welding supply place told me over the phone they don't fill those.

Not that I need it filled now, or expect to be taking my beer anywhere soon, however i'm going to move to closed transfer and would like to use the smaller tank for that just for the ease of it.

Thinking of getting a fill station off amazon and a mount to hang one of my 5 lb tanks upside down so I can just refill it myself without having to drive 40 mins to the closest dicks and paying $8 for a refill.

Thanks for the tip Wayne and you too @bleme. There are three hydroponics suppliers near me and a forth miles and miles away. When I called the only one that is opened today, they quoted $18 for a 20 lb tank exchange. That is cheaper than the $30 quote from the guy I bought from last year and went to on Saturday.

I've always been leery participating in an exchange program. It is probably nonsense on my part. Do you have any tips such as requesting a tank with greater than a year certification on it, etc.?

If you participate in an exchange, the company is responsible for all
certifications. It is one less thing you have to worry about.

I bought my 2) 20 lb tanks, used, for $50 each off of Craigslist. I brought them
to Way to Grow for exchange, and they did not even look at certification
date. They just gave me two different tanks, already filled.

On Saturday, they gave me another tank and then took back my empty. No
questions asked.

I went friday to a fire safety place. Got my 10lb tank filled for $10. Took a whole 10 minutes. My HBS charges $15 for a 10lb fill but takes upwards of 2 hrs.
The downside of the fire safety place is they are only open M-F and close at 4. I would have to take the day off as they are over an hour away.

i have a hard time believing this. you're saying you can buy a 20# tank for $35? or did you mean fill a tank for 35...?
Sorry, my fault!

I had the impression they were new 20# tanks for $35, shipped. That was incorrect, they're 5# tanks.
I can see where the confusion is. He meant there was a thread where one could buy a new 5 lb tank for just $35 with free shipping. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/35-co2-tank-free-shipping.674468/
Thanks for the correction!

Holy Christ. 17 for co2. 2 for swap fee/cert. 6 for haz mat fee. $27.27 for 5# swap. WTF

I'm picking up a fresh hydro steel 50lbs tank on Monday for $90. The fills are $45.
This beats the **** outta the $19-20 fills/exchanges are for 5LBS everywhere near me.
Now I can just fill my lil 5lbers off the 50.
Done paying $20 a fill!
I marvel at how little some of you guys are paying for co2!

Just called Airgas and a LHBS (Winston-Salem, NC), both are right around $2.50/pound. Airgas sells new tanks, the LHBS exchanges them. Definitely not on the cheap side of the street here. Called another in Greensboro and they are about $2/pound.

Last edited:
I have a 2 keg set up with a 20 pound tank. A tank lasts me a long time with no leaks or miscues. I refilled today and was surprised to pay $35.××. $1.75 a pound. But it's been maybe 6 months, so $6 a month or less. Last time I filled it was $28.xx. 25% increase in less than a year.

Latest posts

Back