CO2 15mins after pitching!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyPopBrewer

Reaction score
We brewed a Hefe this week and used a Wyeast 3068 (slap bag). We popped the nutrient about 4hrs before pitching. About 15mins after pitching we had active fermentation going on. We've never seen this before! Is this normal? We figured it was due to the slap bag pack as we use dry yeast often.

Off gassing isn't a sure sign of fermentation. Is the wort cooler than the room, for example? If so, it could be just expanding as it warms.
No yeast will begin fermentation in 15 minutes from pitfching.

The wort was cooled to 70F. The basement is about 62F. I would 100% agree with you if I hadn't seen it myself. However it was for sure off gassing and hasn't quit in the last 24hrs.

I suppose anything is possible, though it makes one wonder if there was an epic over-pitch involved.

I split an 11g batch Saturday evening between some resurrected 1056 and a fresh pack of US-05...For SCIENCE!...and was pleasantly surprised to see active fermentation from the 1056 only four hours post-pitch.
The US-05, of course, won't be heard from for 24 hours...

Cheers!

I suppose anything is possible, though it makes one wonder if there was an epic over-pitch involved.

I split an 11g batch Saturday evening between some resurrected 1056 and a fresh pack of US-05...For SCIENCE!...and was pleasantly surprised to see active fermentation from the 1056 only four hours post-pitch.
The US-05, of course, won't be heard from for 24 hours...

Cheers!

We used 1 slap pack for a 6gal batch. Also we did not oxygenate as we're trying to stress the yeast to get some esters.

Back