CNN and Veterans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is is a fair question to ask? Should veterans relatively fresh from foreign combat be policing urban american conflicts such as these? Is there a chance that the manner in which tasks were carried out in the service may carry over to the police force in a negative fashion? I don't know, but I think it is something that certainly should be thought about. Not blamed by any means, but thought about. I personally would much rather have a service member on the local police force than the myriad of overweight or elderly men on the force here in jax...

In my opinion it is pretty clear there are some significant problems with police militarization. I am not referring to the employment of vets here but rather the weapons, assault vehicles and tactics used by police. That being said it seems likely that people would question the role of veterans in "militarizing" the police force. It isn't all that surprising to me that people would question the placement of vets recently returning from active service into these riot situations.

Yeah the unbiased, common sense reporting by CNN never ceases to amaze me. I wish upon their corporate office one hundred riots. WTF CNN?????

Is is a fair question to ask? Should veterans relatively fresh from foreign combat be policing urban american conflicts such as these? Is there a chance that the manner in which tasks were carried out in the service may carry over to the police force in a negative fashion? I don't know, but I think it is something that certainly should be thought about. Not blamed by any means, but thought about. I personally would much rather have a service member on the local police force than the myriad of overweight or elderly men on the force here in jax...

In my opinion it is pretty clear there are some significant problems with police militarization. I am not referring to the employment of vets here but rather the weapons, assault vehicles and tactics used by police. That being said it seems likely that people would question the role of veterans in "militarizing" the police force. It isn't all that surprising to me that people would question the placement of vets recently returning from active service into these riot situations.

In a utopia, police would not need to be "militarized". They would not need weapons. Maybe we wouldn't need police at all!? But we unfortunately do not live in a utopia.

In the world we live in, criminals use body armor and AK-47s to rob banks. They bomb sporting events full of innocent people. They fly planes into buildings....................

Wishing it away or turning another cheek or trying to set a good example will not make it better or make it go away. Being the best prepared to deal with whatever comes their way is the best approach.

We need to hold our police to the highest of standards. We need to hold accountable those who abuse the position and the authority. We need to prosecute those who break the law regardless of which side of the badge they are on PERIOD.

But do not handcuff the 95% of our police force that protect and serve as they are asked within the law because of a few idiots who did wrong and then tried to protect their jobs.

And do not lump our veterans into a questionable category of any kind just because you can't understand or fathom what they may be/are asked to do to protect us. That is a totally uncalled for and unfair cop out.

The meek will inherit the earth one day. But that day is not here yet. Support your police. Support your veterans.

Being the best prepared to deal with whatever comes their way is the best approach.

And do not lump our veterans into a questionable category of any kind just because you can't understand or fathom what they may be/are asked to do to protect us. That is a totally uncalled for and unfair cop out.

It's doubtful we would see eye to eye on this topic but for what its worth...

The problem with a militarized (in terms of arms) police force in it's current state is the police aren't prepared to use the weapons they have at their disposal. There have been several case studies showing how even the simplest gun handling practices are not being followed by non military experienced police officers.

The idea that I'm lumping veterans into some damaged goods category is nonsense. I happen to have worked in a counseling capacity with many men and a few women who have returned from active duty. I don't know what they have gone through on an individual level but I do know how their job has changed them and they struggle with that. The fact is policing the world on tactical mission is different from everyday policing the US and that may be a difficult transition to make for some people who have served. Asking the question of is this person fit (based on set standards) for police duty only makes common sense.

I know that the media picks up on whatever is the topic for today. I t would seem to me that some of the police forces are out of control with violence. That said it would seem that the police tactic of upping the control of the situation seems to work against them some of the time. The public will always have smart asses and loudmouths but you don't have to respond to those fools. The mess in Baltimore would have never happened if Cool heads would have prevailed and not those who think I will teach this fool a lesson!:drunk:

Game face Many are offended, We as a people have learned to become offended if someone questions us. Thanks for your service!:D

Billy, I'm offended that you're offended! Offense squared! :)

Seriously, of course many of out veterans are adversely affected by combat. But police departments conduct psychological testing and interviews with applicants. I know this first hand as a veteran, (non combat) a retired police officer, a former police supervisor. I've been tested, interviewed, hired more than once. I've also interviewed and hired cops.
On the other hand, the people most responsible for riots are....the rioters! What a surprise. We all become angry at times, many of us (including me) have protested government. How we conduct ourselves when outraged is determined by our character, not that of anyone else.

I am offended that @johnSand is offended at offending @Billy-Klubb, who was offended at the people who got offended at the media who offended veterans who come to find out were not so offended; but with all this offensiveness I have forget what I was initially offended by!

Latest posts

Back