Clove taste in all brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulliverx2

Reaction score
All my recent brews are coming out with a clove-like taste to them. Is this because my room is set to 68 degrees and the chemical reaction is forcing the beer to ferment at a higher temperature? I can't tell what else it could be.

a bit about my set up:
- Fermenting room is at 68 degrees - think fermentation is probably at about 75-76 degrees.
- Using spring water
- Same clove taste has happened for a bunch of different brews: IPA, Brown Ale, Abbey (even stronger than wanted), etc. so assuming it can't be the yeast
- Using 5.2 stabilizer, so pH should be right on target
- Mashing temp usually about 158, Sparging at 168
- Pitching in at about 75 degrees
- Sanitation is pretty tight using PBW to wash, then Star San to sanitize.

I'm trying to think of other reasons, but can't. Has this happened to anyone on such a consistent basis across so many different styles?

Even the bottled conditioning beers get worse with age (though they are in the same temp room).

Clove phenolics are definitely yeast derived. Are you sure it's clove you are smelling? Try lowering your pitching temp by ten degrees and try to hold it there for the first couple days of fermentation. The you can let it rise up.

Cool it down...pitch at 68 or whatever they yeast recommends and keep it there. When the lag phase is over and exponential growth kicks in you will be dealing with an exothermic reaction that will push your temp up and at the same time this is where you will be getting your ester, phenols, fusels, and what not created...the warmer it is the more prevelent these will be. So, do what you got to to keep the temp down in this phase or you won't be a happy homebrewer.

I'm going with an infection of wild yeast. Probably in your plastic somewhere. Throw it all away and get new stuff. Anything plastic that touches your beer post-boil and bottling-- replace it, all.

I'm going with an infection of wild yeast. Probably in your plastic somewhere. Throw it all away and get new stuff. Anything plastic that touches your beer post-boil and bottling-- replace it, all.

If this is the case I would break down things like spigots, soak it in PBW, and finish with Starsan before tossing things like buckets away. However, that is just good standard brewery upkeep. However, given your fermentation temp I would say that is more likely the cause and the first place for investigation.

"Clove" taste can come from three main sources- one is chlorine or chloramines in the brewing water. Try switching water sources. "Spring water" may or may not be chlorinated. I know we have a bottled water company locally here, and their "spring water" is simply city tap water! "Spring water" doesn't have to be pure and chlorine free. I'd try that first. Also, don't use bleach or other chlorine sanitizers.

Secondly, stressed yeast can cause these flavors. Not using a starter for liquid yeast, and high fermentation temperatures can cause those "clove" like flavors. Any temperature over about 68 degrees would be too high. I pitch my yeast in ales at 62-65 degrees and then adjust the temperature to fermentation temperatures after that.

The last thing I can think of is a low grade bacterial infection. I'd get rid of all plastic (it's cheap to replace) and consider a bleach-bomb of all glass. Rinse well of course (see the top about bleach!) and see if that helps.

I'd skip the pH stabilizer. No need for it, if you are mashing properly. It's probably not the cause, but it certainly doesn't help.

Latest posts

Back