Cloudy, yeasty blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

food00d

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I brewed a blonde ale from extract. It ended up being a little darker than expected (I used pale extract instead of light) so I called it "The curtains don't match the drapes Blonde Ale"

Anyway I used Safale US-05, it took a few days to get going but then went strong for 7 days. OG 1.043 FG 1.012. I had the fermenter on the main floor of the house which got fairly warm some days (24-25C a couple of times).

I took a gravity reading after 2 weeks in the primary and it measured 1.012. Checked the next day, same reading. I was prepared to bottle it, but the smell was extremely yeasty, and it tasted very sour. Not at all what I expected.

I left it in the primary another week to see if it would clear. It didn't, so this past Friday I racked it to a secondary.

I am still pretty new at this, so I am wondering if the yeast could be stuck in suspension/failed to flocculate properly? I planned on letting the secondary sit for another couple of weeks to see what happens.

Any advice?

first advice is to let 3 days pass before taking a confirmation SG reading. at this point i would say just let it sit like you where thinking and see if it helps. you could also try cold crashing if thats an option.

having done many batches with s-05, I have found that it can take a while to clear. Also many of my batches had a "yeasty" flavor, almost Belgian tasting, when they were young. With time they cleared, and the flavor disappeared with the haziness.

That said, I did have one that retained the belgian character--best guess here is that i let the fermentation temps rise too high.

So most likely the beer just needs more time to clear.

I've read some of the posts on gelatin.

Would it be a good time for me to mix some of that up and add it to the secondary?

Back