Cloudy homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pgereffi

Reaction score
I made a blonde a little over two weeks ago and it's still quite cloudy. I bottled it yesterday. Will this clear in the bottles? It was my first all grain batch and it came out more cloudy than my extract batches. In hindsight I should of let it sit a couple of more weeks. People say it might be starch haze but I mashed the full hour and did the iodine test and it disappeared so I assume I'm good there. What would the beer taste like if it was unconverted starches in there still? Was your first all grain batch more cloudy in general?

Did you use whirfloc or irish moss in the boil to get a good break? That helps clarity. You can also use gelatin or biofine clear to drop things out. Haze can be caused by many things, most of them benign. Yeast, hop polyphenols, protein and starches with beers containing a lot of wheat or other similar grains cause varying types and levels of haze. Infection can also cause haze, but also other more unpleasant things that are more obvious.

Did you cold crash before bottling? if not, keeping them in the fridge after they are carbed should clear them right up.

Are you using a wort chiller? Using irish moss? Both will help, and so will fining with gelatin. Or you can just deal with it cuz you don't drink beer with your eyeballs.

Back