Cloudy English Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshsowter

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just joined HBF so naturally I have a question I could do with some advice about.

I have prepared a batch of English Pale Ale (following a recipe) which has now been in the fermenter for 4 days (all grain method). I had a few hiccups whilst the brew was on the go. It took over an hour to get the wort to the boil as my gas stove couldn't heat up the 20 litres (about 5.3 gallons) quick enough. The next issue was it took at least 45 mins to cool the wort down to the correct temperature!

When I took the original gravity measurement from the fermentation tank (a plastic bucket with simple plastic tap near the bottom) I noticed the cloudiness (almost looks like particles, could be excess hops etc) in the measurement. I noticed this again when I took a second reading after day 3. I would have thought after 3 days this would have settled, apparently not?

My question is, is the above anything to be concerned about and any recommendations on how to get rid of the cloudy/small particals before bottling?

Any answers would be most welcomed!

Some of my batches have looked like mud when in active fermentation.
Some settle right away. Others take longer.
By bottling time, you should see clear beer with trub on the bottom. Just be careful when syphoning to the bottling bucket. Resist the urge to get every last drop and don't pick up the trub.

Your getting ahead of yourself. There is no point in checking your SG till you think it's done fermenting. 4 days is not enough time. Wait another 10-17 days then check again. The sample should be clearer and nearer your FG.

It's still to early in the fermentation process for it to clear. And it really depends upon the yeast you used and how flocculant it is.

Thanks chaps for all the advice. I unfortunately don't have a siphon so I will have to move the liquid into the bottling bucket via the plastic tap which I'm sure is going to disrupt the sediment. I'm still rather new to the home brewing scene so I'm learning as I go. Thanks again

Get an auto siphon. You have plenty of time. It will make your brewing life so much easier.

Now when you say your going to move the beer via the plastic tap. You do mean by attaching a length of hose to it and running that hose to the bottom of your bottling bucket right???

I've never had a homebrew that cleared up in primary until at least 7 days into fermentation. After it starts to clear you are likely close or at FG. Then leave it another 1-2 weeks! a nice 4 week primary really helps the quality of your beer!

@tipsydragon - I was planning on simply transferring the liquid from primary to secondary without using a hose, just opening up an letting it pour in, but as you have pointed this out I will either get a hose or just head straight for an auto siphon, if I use just the hose, why would this be any different to just opening the tap and letting it pour (am just curious being the amateur that I am)?

@jayhem - I will try my hardest to keep it for 4 weeks in primary but damn that's a long time when the craving to sample grows stronger and stronger 😊 note taken!

@jayhem - I will try my hardest to keep it for 4 weeks in primary but damn that's a long time when the craving to sample grows stronger and stronger 😊 note taken!

I understand! The hardest technique to master as a new brewer is patience. :mug:

That's why it's helpful to always have a new batch going so you always have several beers ready to drink and can forget about your primary until your calendar says it's time to check it.

joshsowter said:
@tipsydragon - I was planning on simply transferring the liquid from primary to secondary without using a hose, just opening up an letting it pour in, but as you have pointed this out I will either get a hose or just head straight for an auto siphon, if I use just the hose, why would this be any different to just opening the tap and letting it pour (am just curious being the amateur that I am)?

What it sounds like your describing is opening the tap and let the beer fall a few feet into your bottling bucket. This will heavily oxidize your beer giving it an unpleasant wet cardboard flavor.

You really don't need a secondary for an english pale. As for your racking method, its vital that you don't splash the fermented beer as this will oxidize it. For this reason, using a siphon (auto siphon or just the old school method) is very important, or if you're going to use the tap, attach a hose to it so that it flows into whatever you're transferring it into without splashing. I agree with 3-4 week primary, I wouldn't even consider taking gravity readings before about 2 weeks into fermentation. Give it time and it will clear up plenty, although some haze is normal (especially before you've really nailed down all the processes such as cold crashing).

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's been much appreciated and very insightful. I will let you know how my brew turned out!

My biggest eye opener came with the first brew I did in a glass demijohn. Seeing the activity through the fermentaion was amazing, watching the yeast develope do its stuff and then fall clear, a really good exercise. I would recomend that every new brewer does it, well worth taking the trouble, it also got the family and friends on board with the hobby.
I dont bother with a sample for at least two weeks.

Latest posts

Back