Cloudy cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvbeerbrewer

Reaction score
Still new to brewing. I just made my second brew and I think something went wrong.

1. Briess Crystal 10 added preboil then removed before boil.

2. Maillard gold lme.

3. 60 min boil, cascade hops for 60 min. Whirlfloc tablet and williamette hops at 5 min.

4. Honey at end of boil.

5. Poured Cooled wort with too much trub into carboy.

6. Dry yeast, 1 pack.

7. Fermentation was rapid and vigorous for 24 hrs. Temp was on high end by mistake 77F.

8. Currently on d 3 of fermentation with a bubble every 1 minute.

At d 3 beer is really really cloudy. Should I be concerned? Should I be concerned with rapid and short fermentation?

After 3 days in the fermenter? No, I would not be concerned.

Only thing that concerns me is the ferment temp.

It will be cloudy during fermentation. Once primary is over, you'll see it start to clear as the yeast and proteins drop out of solution.

The ferm temp is most important during the first hours/days of fermentation. 77 is high for a cream ale and may cause some unwanted esters or fusels. Next time, work on keeping the temp in the mid 60s with a swamp cooler or fridge.

I agree the temp got away. I covered the carboy this time without changing room temp. I have better control over temp now. I will wait a few weeks to check clarity. Thanks

Also, if it is still not as clear as you want it after it is bottled and carbonated, move all of the bottles to the fridge. After a few days in the fridge, the bottles will clear up nicely.

Yup. Busy yeast cause an up & down swirling effect during initial fermentation, mostly. Kinda like Van Allen belts around a planet. As the yeast get past their initial orgy, they & the other stuff start settling out & the beer will look a bit misty. Usually, by a couple days in the bottles, the beer will get crystal clear as it finishes carbonating & conditioning. But come fridge time, I give'em 5-7 days or more. As soon as the bottles chill down, chill haze can form from dissolved proteins that didn't settle out as cold break earlier. In 3-7 days on average, it'll settle out like a fog, making the beer clear again.

Back