Cloudy cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knittingkitty

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing anything and my cider was bubbling away merrily until a week or so ago. I've been told now is the time to consider bottling it but my cider is still cloudy.

I have a few questions about the next steps.
1: Should I even bottle now or let it sit longer to clear up (heck will it even ever clear up)
2: I prefer a drier slightly carbonated cider but I'm completely in the dark about how much priming sugar to add (and when). Since the fermentation has stopped for so long will adding sugar right before bottling even do anything besides make it sweeter? Do I need to add more yeast?

1. It could clear up with time. It depends on how clear you want it. Personally I wait until my cider is kind of hazy and then throw it in the bottles and don't worry about it.

2. You should be able to add roughly the same amount as you would with beer. For a decent level of carbonation probably 4-5 oz of corn sugar. There will be PLENTY of yeast in there to carbonate.

I have no clue. I admit to just tossing the cider and the yeast in and letting it go. I have a friend who has never used a hydrometer and was my guide for this batch. I kind of approached it with a 'well lets see what happens' attitude. For the next batch I plan on being more scientific once I learn more

I have no clue. I admit to just tossing the cider and the yeast in and letting it go. I have a friend who has never used a hydrometer and was my guide for this batch. I kind of approached it with a 'well lets see what happens' attitude. For the next batch I plan on being more scientific once I learn more

Do you have any way to take the gravity now?

I should be able to stop by the homebrew store on my way home from work and pick up one.
What numbers should I be looking for? I'm completely clueless as to what gravity I should be aiming for and how it affects the final outcome.

you most certainly don't need to bottle it yet. I always wait for about a month, move to secondary, then bottle 3 months or so later, when it's crystal clear. I love that I come out with a nice clear cider in the end without having a bunch of crap on the bottle of the bottles.

Back