Cloudy beer after awhile in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden512

Reaction score
Brewed a 3.5 % Munich Helles a few months ago. Pilsner malt with some Munich. Fermented at recommended temp, ramped up to 64ish for 3 days then slowly brought it down to lagering temps. Tapped it after 2 weeks and it tasted amazing. Was very proud of it. Super clean and clear. However I've been gone for about 3 weeks and upon trying it again it is now completely hazy. Still taste good but wondering what would cause this. I attached a pic of it in the beginning.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461368025.284131.jpg

Did you jostle the keg? It could just be yeast coming up. Might just need to resettle for 24 hours. (most lager yeasts are powdery) Other than that it could be colder now, and you have a bit of chill haze, if you let a sample get to room temp does it clear? Besides infection, those are the two most likely cases.

What yeast did you use?

When you say you returned and tried it after 3 weeks, did you make sure to toss the first glass you poured before analyzing the clarity? If you haven't poured in a while some stuff may have settled to the bottom, hence a cloudy first pour. Also are you saying you only did a 2 week lager?

@giraffe

I don't know of any movement of the keg but I guess it's possible. I'll let a glass sit out and see it it clears. I was weary of infection but it honestly taste exactly the same.

@arnobg

The yeast was wyeast Munich Lager II. Yeah I was drinking it after 2 weeks at lagering temps (after primary at 55o for 2.5 weeks) and it was very clean w/o off flavors. I suspect due to the low abv.

@giraffe

I don't know of any movement of the keg but I guess it's possible. I'll let a glass sit out and see it it clears. I was weary of infection but it honestly taste exactly the same.

@arnobg

The yeast was wyeast Munich Lager II. Yeah I was drinking it after 2 weeks at lagering temps (after primary at 55o for 2.5 weeks) and it was very clean w/o off flavors. I suspect due to the low abv.

So what I'm saying is if you're pouring a glass or two after it sat for 2 weeks you're going to have some yeast sediment at the bottom of the keg your first pour just from gravity doing it's job...even if it is a small amount. The dip tube does pick up from the bottom of the keg...

Have you tried pouring another glass since then, you may be surprised to see it is significantly more clear since getting that sediment out.

So what I'm saying is if you're poring a glass or two after it sat for 2 weeks you're going to have some yeast sediment at the bottom of the keg your first pour just from gravity doing it's job...even if it is a small amount. The dip tube does pick up from the bottom of the keg...

Have you tried pouring another glass since then, you may be surprised to see it is significantly more clear since getting that sediment out.

I'm not home right now but I'll try it again tonight

Back