Cloudy after dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike240z

Reaction score
I am brewing a “low gluten” pale ale. It was clear when I transferred it into secondary and dry hopped. However, since I dry hopped, it is very cloudy. I’m very careful with sanitation and don’t think it’s that. Any ideas on cause or how I can clear it up. It’s now been in secondary for almost a week.

If you dry hopped, then you must have some hop polyphenols in suspension, but that should not be an issue.

I am not really into gluten-free ales, but something like gelatin/isinglass ( liquid - ready to mix ) should help clearing it out.

Cheers.

If you dry hopped, then you must have some hop polyphenols in suspension, but that should not be an issue.

I am not really into gluten-free ales, but something like gelatin/isinglass ( liquid - ready to mix ) should help clearing it out.

Cheers.

Thanks. How much gelatin would you use for a 5 gal batch?

How many grams/ounces did you add per volume? It's not uncommon to pick up some cloudiness from high-hopped beer especially. If you can crash the temp it will speed clarification. Otherwise a long conditioning session in keg or bottle will clarify too.

How many grams/ounces did you add per volume? It's not uncommon to pick up some cloudiness from high-hopped beer especially. If you can crash the temp it will speed clarification. Otherwise a long conditioning session in keg or bottle will clarify too.
I dry hopped with 3 oz.

I personally would let time do the clarifying for me. The potential for further oxygen exposure adding a fining agent wouldn't be worth it to me.

Typically 0.1-0.2 grams per liter. In your case 0.1 grams/l should do it (and keep side effects in minimum).

Last edited:
Back