Closing output valve completely on chugger pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynic

Reaction score
I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find any information about this but can you close the output valve on a chugger completely and keep the pump running?

There is probably a proper answer, maybe email chugger and see what they say. I would say yes you can, based on the magnetic drive impeller, overheating shouldn't be an issue. I have closed my valve before shutting the pump off but usually shut the pump off immediately... I think it's more important to not starve the pump by closing the valve that feeds the input of the pump. I don't know how long I would leave the valve closed though, if it would build any kind of pressure or not.

Seems like cavitation might be an issue. But I've never seen any discussion about cavitation of the impellors of pumps on beer or wort.

How long are you wanting to run it with the valve closed?

I guess it wouldn't be for too long at a time. But let's say I am recirculating the mash. I don't have anything fancy so I would probably be doing that by hand and If I need to stop for a few seconds if the pump is going to get ruined or something is going to go boom. This is going to be my first all-grain brew so I am trying to avoid any major disasters.

Get one of these to turn the pump on/off with and it will be easier on you. I used them for a while on my March/Chugger pumps before getting a control panel to take care of everything. I still use on for my bucket blaster so that I don't have to unplug it to get the thing to stop.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WX2NBWR
Pretty cheap at ~$14 each.

A few seconds.... ok, if gonna be more then a few seconds I would be looking to switch it off, or unplug. Your valve will already be closed so nothing will go anywhere. I've had mine for a few years now and I'm sure I've left a pump run with the valve closed, or a valve closed somewhere for more then a few seconds, but I dont make a habit of it.

If you are just recirculating mash then why would you need to shut off the valve completely?

If this is your first all-grain mash, you might be just complicating things using a pump. But if it happens to go well, you might be that far ahead of the game.... if it goes well.

Your pump manufacturer does caution against using inlet tubing and connections that are too small which would seem to indicate that maybe they are concerned about cavitation. But they don't say anything about shutting off the outlet flow, which can also cause cavitation.

Yes you can. If the pump has liquid in it. I do it all the time. There is nothing saying the liquid has to be moving. It just has to be there to keep the pump veins/housing lubricated is all.

Side note. I used the same March pump on my system for well over 15 years without fail. Closed the output all the time during the process. NOW if your ball valve is BELOW the pump this will be a problem. BUT if its above the pump and you have liquid behind the pump in your process then your all good.

Cheers
Jay

If you are just recirculating mash then why would you need to shut off the valve completely?

If this is your first all-grain mash, you might be just complicating things using a pump. But if it happens to go well, you might be that far ahead of the game.... if it goes well.

Well I will be chilling the wort with a plate chiller so the pump seems ideal for that as well.

I was thinking maybe closing the valve after circulating/mashout and then sparging the grain and then turning the pump back on to get everything nice and uniform or is that maybe unnecessary?

What do people normally do with what is left in the tubes after you turn off the pump?

Just discard it or try to pour it back into the pot before boiling?

NOW if your ball valve is BELOW the pump this will be a problem. BUT if its above the pump and you have liquid behind the pump in your process then your all good.

Cheers
Jay

Well the valve is connected directly to the output of the pump.

Maybe I should just err on the side of caution here..

I factor in the amount left in the hoses (and manifold parts) into my volumes to get the correct amount into fermenter. Pretty easy with software. ;)

Get one of these to turn the pump on/off with and it will be easier on you. I used them for a while on my March/Chugger pumps before getting a control panel to take care of everything. I still use on for my bucket blaster so that I don't have to unplug it to get the thing to stop.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WX2NBWR
Pretty cheap at ~$14 each.

Thanks this seems like a pretty good option. After all I was just trying to be lazy and not have to unplug the damn thing every time my absent minded self realizes I forgot something.

I factor in the amount left in the hoses (and manifold parts) into my volumes to get the correct amount into fermenter. Pretty easy with software. ;)

Is there any downside to just pouring it from the tubes back into the pot?

Is there any downside to just pouring it from the tubes back into the pot?
Other than the already mentioned temperature factor, not really. I've done it in the past, but no longer. I got tired of dealing with hot connections in the system, which is one of the reasons I built the manifolds for the pump heads. Now I just open/close the valves to direct the flow directions. Makes brewing day easier on me.

Other than the already mentioned temperature factor, not really. I've done it in the past, but no longer. I got tired of dealing with hot connections in the system, which is one of the reasons I built the manifolds for the pump heads. Now I just open/close the valves to direct the flow directions. Makes brewing day easier on me.

Thanks a lot for your help! Wish me luck...

As long as the pump is primed and stays primed you can close the valve while the pump is running as @Jaybird said. Running dry or cavitating will send you running to shut it off as the noise it makes is about as unpleasant as finger nails on a chalk board. The remote control is a good idea like @Golddiggie said also. I have a remote that can control multiple devices because I have 2 pumps and a fan I like to turn on and off remotely. Edit- Just noticed these are unavailable but there is probably something else the same at Amazon.
1645624015539.png

Last edited:
Just curious, what problem do you refer to?
Depending on the Chugger, it could push the liquid out of the head if you close the feed valve.
The newer models from Chugger are their "x-dry" line which don't have any issue if you run them without liquid. No more squealing if you do that. I'm sure anyone with an older pump head will know what that sound is. ;)

The TC heads I got from Chugger since 2020 are the x-dry type. Which makes things easier since I can do a test run (as needed) without having liquid in the pump head.

Back