Closet son of a fermentation chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srtce142

Reaction score
In May, I moved into a small apartment. This required some creative thinking in order to store all our of items.

So I began with a design to store all the completed beer bottles and my tools / other misc items in the bedroom closest. Sorry about the blurry photo, it's all I have left of the design...
5bfc38b9-a657-404f-8280-3b544fce1721.jpg

Which I share because you really can't see what's going on with it installed.
20130615_213334.jpg

The two side pods were built as stand alone units and connected across the stop. Each shelf can hold 27 12oz bottles or some combination of 22oz bombers/750ml bottles

These are the supports for each shelf
20131029_103043.jpg

Then I had the bright idea to enclose the bottom with insulation and turn it into a semi-controlled fermentation chamber
20131029_102846.jpg

opened up, it's large enough for two fermentation vessels. Behind the ice bottle is a fan controlled with the DIY STC-1000 that many others have posted instructions on. I haven't bothered to secured the two pieces. Just slide them together to close and apart to open.
20131029_104203.jpg

The 1/2 gal bottles last about 1/2 a day during heavy fermentation and a full day when things have slowed down. Of course, this is also dependent a little on the room temperature.

It's not pretty. but it serves its purpose. The only issue I've noticed so far is when fermentation slows, the temp tends to drop below the target value since the ice chamber isn't separate. I suppose I could set the temp a little higher or work on including a heating circuit. This is why I wrote semi-controlled above.

Very cool. You've got more closet space than me though. Doubt SWMBO would let me claim that much (I get about a quarter of one that size for all my clothes). I'm planning on doing something similar but as a "fermoir" by gutting a piece of old furniture. So you use a small plug in fan with your STC-1000 instead of a wired CPU fan I guess?

Back