Closed Transfers (via bottom port) with Speidel 30L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Since my old MoreBeer conical is being retired, and the Stainless options I'm looking at are not in stock, I'm thinking about a 30 liter Speidel fermenter.

I would want to do closed transfers via the bottom port (with CO2 push on top). I would also want to be able to take samples. I've heard that the plastic spigots are often (usually?) leaky. Are the Norcal stainless spigots much better in that respect? If not, what kind of bottom port hardware are people using that facilitate both sampling and transfer? TIA!

Although my plastic port on my Speidel never leaked, I replaced it with the staineless steel one that More Beer sells. It is more robust and easier to control the flow.

I do not do closed transfers. I just make a slight opening where the airlock grommet is to not create suction.

Since my old MoreBeer conical is being retired, and the Stainless options I'm looking at are not in stock, I'm thinking about a 30 liter Speidel fermenter.

I would want to do closed transfers via the bottom port (with CO2 push on top). I would also want to be able to take samples. I've heard that the plastic spigots are often (usually?) leaky. Are the Norcal stainless spigots much better in that respect? If not, what kind of bottom port hardware are people using that facilitate both sampling and transfer? TIA!
I believe this is what you are looking for Speidel Ball Lock Gas In with Pressure Relief Valve. NorCal Brewing Solutions

I switched to the chrome spigots and the worked fine, though I rarely use any spigots anymore. Was not a fan of the plastic ones. I did try a couple closed-loop gravity transfers using the spigots, one at the top and one at the bottom. This worked ok, but I now use this . Works great. Plus it easily allows me to purge kegs with fermentation CO2, which saves me from purging with bottled CO2.

I also use the stainless Speidel spigot that MoreBeer sells and attach a 3/8" ID piece of tubing to it with a ball lock connector on the other end to the keg.

I thought of doing this, but it is really painstakingly slow. I like being able to keg and be cleaned up in 30 minutes.

I also think the port on the Speidel is a bit too low. Always get trub in the line at first.

I know they sell a diptube attachement for it, but its just another cog in the wheel, and I've never had an issue with oxidation.

I've been using Speidel plastic 30L and 12L FVs for about 10 years. I've sold most of them, but still use some. They're as good as the day I got them new. Rock solid. Probably the best plastic FVs on the market. I use a cask breather for closed transfers. They seem to be able to cope with low pressure, too. Just enough to push beer anyway. I haven't experienced issues with the spigots. They can be fitted 'high' or 'low' within the screw-on retaining ring. I've always found trub transfer to be minimal. But the spigots are what they are, very basic. I'd recommend getting a couple spare screw caps to mod with bulkheads for CO2, blow off tube, tap, etc. The small (1/2") stainless bulkhead fittings from SS Brewtech are a perfect size. I'd get a spare lid, too, to fit a thermowell, if you prefer a temp probe in the wort. And some spare lid seals, which are a bit rubbish and perish too easily. The only weak point.

I've heard good things about the fermzilla all-rounder for pressurized fermentation and closed transfers if you want to spend a little more.

I'd get a spare lid, too

One thing I appreciate about my Fermonsters and Big Mouth Bubblers is that the lids are like $6 and easy to drill holes into for accommodating all kinds of interesting things I come up with. Seems the Spiedel would be similar. I know the OP is about the bottom port / spigot but as far as making up with CO2 and things like that it's worth noting.

I have one of these for my 30L Speidel and they work well for closed transfers.

I also like to use a thermowell for my temp controller. I currently have this model:
Speidel Fermenter Thermowell with Grommet. NorCal Brewing Solutions

That works fine when I am doing open fermentation and not a closed transfer. But for a closed fermentation with temp control and a thermowell, I'm thinking about getting one of these instead, which allows you to add any number of different spigots or valves:

Speidel Fermenter Dip Tube and Thermowell Half Inch NPT. NorCal Brewing Solutions

Speidel Fermenter Tri Clover Dip Tube and Thermowell. NorCal Brewing Solutions

And a very cheap solution without the thermowell is this:

Speidel Fermenter 1/2

1665833129807.png

Back