Closed pressure transfer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomchukj

Reaction score
So I am preparing to do a closed pressure transfer on my next ipa since I have not been all that happy with how quickly aroma etc leaves the keg.

I have my setup ready to go but just curious if my process is correct:

Set reg to 30 psi and hit the empty keg to seal lid
Change reg to 3-5 psi and fill keg, expelljng 2-3 times
Set tube connected to gas out post on keg with one end in sanitized liquid
Start transfer by feeding 3-5 psi to fermenter with other line hooked up to liquid out post

Do i have this right? I am thinking if keg is at higher pressure than fermentor I will be unable to push liquid in/fas out due to the pressure in balance is this safe to assume?

Also do you start pressure in fermentor low (1psi) and then slightly increase at start? I can think that if I hit the vessel right away at 5 psi I am going to stir all the trub up...

No need to seal the keg until after the transfer is done and you've purged any residual O2. Also, no need to have any tubing coming off the keg's gas post. If you have ball lock kegs, lock open the PR valve. If pin locks, put a disconnect on the gas post so you have an open vent from the keg.

I would do this...

1) Clean and sanitize the keg and insert/lock the lid.
2) Flow a fair amount of CO2 into the keg thru the liquid port while keeping the PR valve open or vent from the gas port with a gas disconnect.
3) Connect your gas and liquid lines to the fermenter, but do not attach the liquid disconnect to the keg yet.
4) Drop PSI to zero on regulator and slowly open to start letting gas into the fermenter, no more than 1-2 PSI.
5) Open the ball valve on the fermenter (if you have one) so the beer is able to flow. However, with the liquid disconnect not connected to the keg, the beer will not flow yet.
6) Use your finger to depress the plunger inside the liquid disconnect so beer starts flowing toward the end of the tubing, expelling O2 out as it goes. When the beer reaches the disconnect, let the plunger close and connect to the keg post.
7) Wait for keg to fill.
8) Once keg is full, remove the liquid disconnect, close the PR valve, and give the keg several bursts of CO2 to purge remaining O2. Once that is done, set to 30 PSI and seal the lid.

No need to seal the keg until after the transfer is done and you've purged any residual O2. Also, no need to have any tubing coming off the keg's gas post. If you have ball lock kegs, lock open the PR valve. If pin locks, put a disconnect on the gas post so you have an open vent from the keg.

I would do this...

1) Clean and sanitize the keg and insert/lock the lid.
2) Flow a fair amount of CO2 into the keg thru the liquid port while keeping the PR valve open or vent from the gas port with a gas disconnect.
3) Connect your gas and liquid lines to the fermenter, but do not attach the liquid disconnect to the keg yet.
4) Drop PSI to zero on regulator and slowly open to start letting gas into the fermenter, no more than 1-2 PSI.
5) Open the ball valve on the fermenter (if you have one) so the beer is able to flow. However, with the liquid disconnect not connected to the keg, the beer will not flow yet.
6) Use your finger to depress the plunger inside the liquid disconnect so beer starts flowing toward the end of the tubing, expelling O2 out as it goes. When the beer reaches the disconnect, let the plunger close and connect to the keg post.
7) Wait for keg to fill.
8) Once keg is full, remove the liquid disconnect, close the PR valve, and give the keg several bursts of CO2 to purge remaining O2. Once that is done, set to 30 PSI and seal the lid.

Just wanted to come back and say thanks. This worked perfectly, my new process.

Back