Cloning HopHands by Tired Hands Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a milkshake style beer yesterday but I messed up and forgot I didn't have 1318 ready to go. I pitched what little I had, but 24 hours later with no activity I panicked and used a substitute since that's all my LHBS had. So if anyone is wondering how WLP013 London Ale compares to 1318, I'll be sure to tell you in a few weeks.

I brewed a milkshake style beer yesterday but I messed up and forgot I didn't have 1318 ready to go. I pitched what little I had, but 24 hours later with no activity I panicked and used a substitute since that's all my LHBS had. So if anyone is wondering how WLP013 London Ale compares to 1318, I'll be sure to tell you in a few weeks.

How does the Milkshake TH brewed with Omnipollo rate to their pub version if you have had both? Can't get TH where I am just want to know how close a comparison this one is since I can get it.

My latest batch of this turned out really great this time. I'm still missing out by not kegging though. A lot of mouthfeel and taste is being sacrificed to bottle conditioning.

Keezer project coming soon but this is definitely going to be a house beer.

:mug:

Finally got some hophands after brewing and drinking the HH revisited clone (Mosaic substituted for Simcoe). It is spot on, the yeast, bitterness and hop profile. My beer might be lacking a bit of creamy mouthfeel and the TH hophands is much cloudier despite my beer having 20% flaked oats.

I brewed another version using 30% oats and a half lb of Honey malt for a touch of sweetness. Also this version I went with Centennial/Mosaic/Citra to lean in the Fresh Squeezed direction.

This is a great recipe and beer

This tweak on Coff's recipe took 1st place for American Pale ale for the NHC philly region. 7 day ferment, 5 day dry hop in the primary w/4.0oz (2 mosaic, 1 citra, 1 centennial).

This tweak on Coff's recipe took 1st place for American Pale ale for the NHC philly region. 7 day ferment, 5 day dry hop in the primary w/4.0oz (2 mosaic, 1 citra, 1 centennial).

Congrats! That sounds awesome. I have to start making this beer again. I've been leaning too hard in the Alien Church/6.5% direction. I have a Coffee Milkshake IPA on tap right now that is a really cool beer. All Citra and a half pound of a local single origin coffee.

I have done some all grain batches but I am completely miffed by the chloride to sulfate terminology. Are we talking about calcium chloride? And what sulfate? I have checked a few home brew sites for additives but I'm not sure what exactly you are using...sorry this is such a noob question but have been trying to brew this type of beer with extract and it's just not the same.

I have done some all grain batches but I am completely miffed by the chloride to sulfate terminology. Are we talking about calcium chloride? And what sulfate? I have checked a few home brew sites for additives but I'm not sure what exactly you are using...sorry this is such a noob question but have been trying to brew this type of beer with extract and it's just not the same.

Typically a combination of Calcium chloride and calcium sulfate can be added to achieve the aforementioned ratios of 2:1 Cl:SO4. I use distilled water (devoid of all minerals from the start) to be sure I'm hitting those concentrations dead on. You can also use Epsom salt (MgS04) to get your sulfate up without adding calcium and clorides

Yep you're spot on. We adjust the overall Sulfate amount by adding Gypsum (CaSO4), and adjust Chloride by adding Calcium Chloride (CaCl2). Both of these also add Calcium which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your water.

I use Bru'n Water to find the amounts of both to add to my mash and sparge. This is calculated by inputting your existing water profile (Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Sulfate, Chloride, Bicarbonate, Cations, Anions, Total Hardness, Alkalinity, and RA). You can either get your water tested by a place like Ward Labs, call your water provider and ask, or hope that some other local homebrewer got their water tested and posted the results somewhere.

So you set your target ppm for Sulfate and Chloride, and use Excel's goal seek on the cells for Gypsum and Chloride. This will tell you how much of each mineral to add to your mash and sparge (it also takes your target mash pH into account). I also use lactic acid to lower my mash pH and the pH of my sparge water.

Here's what my spreadsheet looks like right now:

WtB7woQ.png

Anyone been successful at an Alien Church or Punge version?

Looks like the Alien Church hop list is Mosaic Citra, Chinook, Centennial & Columbus. And Punge is Nelson Sauvin & Motueka.

Anyone been successful at an Alien Church or Punge version?

Looks like the Alien Church hop list is Mosaic Citra, Chinook, Centennial & Columbus. And Punge is Nelson Sauvin & Motueka.

I haven't done Alien Church or Punge but I've done a couple IPAs in a similar style and I think I have a hopping rate down for them. I've been doing a mix of white wheat, oats and whole wheat flour, but I'm sure this would be fine with just 20% oats or wheat.

Basically 80% pale malt (I used pils in one before and it was great), 20%oats/wheat/or a mix of both (or golden naked oats for more malt depth). Shoot for an OG around 1.065. 0.25oz Columbus or similar high aa hop @ 60min, 3oz any good hop combo at 5min, 3oz any hop combo 20min 185F whirlpool. 6oz dry hop for 2 days. Azacca, Mosaic and Motueka made a good mix.

I think I nailed a TH style IPA. I made dank hop juice and it's great. Super resinous and oily with a huge tropical/citrus flavor profile. Imagine hop hands but danker. Columbus is seriously an underrated hop. It's like smelling bag of raw mosaic/columbus pellets. Dank. Juicy. Creamy. It tastes exactly like something TH would make. And it's murky as the day is long. Thanks wheat flour!

6gal, 1.062 OG

5.5 lbs CMC pale
5.5 lbs CMC pils
1.5 lbs Flaked Oats
1.5 lbs Briess White Wheat
0.5 lbs Whole wheat flour

Mash 152F 60 min

0.25oz 13.2%AA Columbus 60 min
1oz Azacca 10.3%AA 5 min
1oz Mosaic 12.3%AA 5 min
0.5oz Centennial 11.3%AA 5 min
0.5oz Columbus 13.2%AA 5 min
1oz Azacca 10.3%AA 20min whirlpool @ 185F
1oz Mosaic 12.3%AA 20min whirlpool @ 185F
0.5oz Centennial 11.3%AA 20min whirlpool @ 185F
0.5oz Columbus 13.2%AA 20min whirlpool @ 185F
4oz Azacca 3 day dry hop
2oz Columbus 3 day dry hop

1L starter of 1318.

120ppm Sulfate, 100ppm Chloride

uhAc8Qs.jpg

I brewed this recipe and kegged up on Friday. My kegerator keeps getting clogged there are so many hops still floating around. I have to pull the handle at least 20 times to free up the line.

Excellent beer. Probably the closest I've come to the NEIPA's. I used California Ale yeast since I still can't find 1318 at the 3 homebrew stores near me and I'm not paying for shipping. I am also going to use a quarter pound of whole wheat flour next time.
BKoxZgP.jpg

Adding flour to be a beer just to make it hazier makes me almost wet my pants with laughter. Water profile, yeast selection and quality ingredients and a Brewer who knows what they want the end beer to be are the factors, not flour.

I brewed this recipe and kegged up on Friday. My kegerator keeps getting clogged there are so many hops still floating around. I have to pull the handle at least 20 times to free up the line.

Excellent beer. Probably the closest I've come to the NEIPA's. I used California Ale yeast since I still can't find 1318 at the 3 homebrew stores near me and I'm not paying for shipping. I am also going to use a quarter pound of whole wheat flour next time.
BKoxZgP.jpg

Try shaking the keg and leave it tilted in your kegerator. Tilt it so the dip tube is on the high side. That should help. 1318 is key though.

Adding flour to be a beer just to make it hazier makes me almost wet my pants with laughter. Water profile, yeast selection and quality ingredients and a Brewer who knows what they want the end beer to be are the factors, not flour.

agreed the flour does not need to be in there the heavy oats addition and a bit of wheat and large hop additions have given my beers plenty of haze and the mouth feel I am looking for. My goal now is what is the best hop combo. Mosaic Citra Amarillo is fermenting now and the smell coming off the buckets is amazing.

BKoxZgP.jpg

Awesome! Glad it came out well. I had some problems with hop floaties in that beer as well. I'm pretty sure the flour makes it so particles don't want to drop out as well.

I wanted the end beer to be murky as **** to spite this whole NE IPA/clear beer backlash. Plus I just wanted to experiment a little with it. My IPAs/pales are plenty hazy without it. But doesn't this look delicious?

DvjftBv.jpg

I brewed another TH inspired pale/IPA thing the other day but moved away from the typical malt bill a bit (mainly because I ran out of pale malt). Plus I've heard of people having good luck with pils malt + wheat instead of pale + oats. I'm moving away from oats a bit just because I've had issues with head retention lately that I believe is due to the oats. Still sticking to a ~85% base malt and ~15% adjuncts/flaked stuff.

Shot for 100ppm Sulfate and 180ppm Chloride (and 155ppm Calcium which seems a bit high). Aiming for mash pH of 5.2 adding lactic acid as needed.

6 gallons, OG 1.058, 152F 75min mash
(85.7%) 10.5# Avangard Pils
(8.2%) 1# Briess white wheat
(4.1%) .5# Simpsons Crystal light
(2%) .25# Briess flaked barley.

0.25oz Columbus 13.2% AA @ 60min
0.5oz Columbus 13.2% AA @ 5min
0.5oz Mosaic 12.3% AA @ 5min
2oz Galaxy 15.1% AA @ 20min 185F whirlpool
1oz Mosaic 12.3% AA @ 20min 185F whirlpool

2oz Galaxy dry hop 3 days into active fermentation

4oz Mosaic + 2oz Galaxy keg hopped for 48hrs after fermentation then crashed.

500mL 1318 slurry

I'm a big fan of adding some Columbus late in the boil to add some dank and balance out all the fruit/citrus.

Also, I had a semi failed experiment with adding Mango nectar to a keg of similar IPA, but I still want to try adding fruit juice to a keg at some point.

This is just Pils, Wheat and carapils and heavy late, dry hoping and no finning, tastes like creamy OJ. Ilive in New Zealand so noooo chance of trying any Vermont style beers (unless you wanna trade some cans for some NZ hops ;) )

HAZE.jpg

So, no bittering charge? I find my juice bombs turn out best with a 10, 5, 0 additions with a Huge dry hop in the keg

Awesome! Glad it came out well. I had some problems with hop floaties in that beer as well. I'm pretty sure the flour makes it so particles don't want to drop out as well.

I wanted the end beer to be murky as **** to spite this whole NE IPA/clear beer backlash. Plus I just wanted to experiment a little with it. My IPAs/pales are plenty hazy without it. But doesn't this look delicious?

DvjftBv.jpg

I brewed another TH inspired pale/IPA thing the other day but moved away from the typical malt bill a bit (mainly because I ran out of pale malt). Plus I've heard of people having good luck with pils malt + wheat instead of pale + oats. I'm moving away from oats a bit just because I've had issues with head retention lately that I believe is due to the oats. Still sticking to a ~85% base malt and ~15% adjuncts/flaked stuff.

Shot for 100ppm Sulfate and 180ppm Chloride (and 155ppm Calcium which seems a bit high). Aiming for mash pH of 5.2 adding lactic acid as needed.

6 gallons, OG 1.058, 152F 75min mash
(85.7%) 10.5# Avangard Pils
(8.2%) 1# Briess white wheat
(4.1%) .5# Simpsons Crystal light
(2%) .25# Briess flaked barley.

0.25oz Columbus 13.2% AA @ 60min
0.5oz Columbus 13.2% AA @ 5min
0.5oz Mosaic 12.3% AA @ 5min
2oz Galaxy 15.1% AA @ 20min 185F whirlpool
1oz Mosaic 12.3% AA @ 20min 185F whirlpool

2oz Galaxy dry hop 3 days into active fermentation

4oz Mosaic + 2oz Galaxy keg hopped for 48hrs after fermentation then crashed.

500mL 1318 slurry

I'm a big fan of adding some Columbus late in the boil to add some dank and balance out all the fruit/citrus.

Also, I had a semi failed experiment with adding Mango nectar to a keg of similar IPA, but I still want to try adding fruit juice to a keg at some point.

So I added 32oz of Lakewood Mango juice to this and made a pretty accurate Mago Tago facsimile! Huge juicy mango profile with a lot of pine and other citrus. Very orange creamsicley on the nose with some resiny pine and tropical fruit (pineapple/peach). Creamy mango up front followed by grapefruit and pine mid palate, to a bittersweet hop bite with mild astringency. Very raw hop tasting near the end. To my surprise the mango juice actually added a fair amount of bitterness. I tried it pre-juice addition and it was way smoother without that lingering bite. This almost drinks like a double IPA but it sits at 5.7%! If I were to do this again I would completely forgo the 60minute addition just to lower the bitterness a tad. I would probably switch up the pils for pale malt as well because I feel like it is missing some of that full malt character. I'd maybe add some oats too. This definitely drinks like a mango milkshake.

I recently built a kegerator with Intertap faucets so I did a side by side of a normal faucet pour vs a stout spout pour. Both are very creamy already thanks to the wheat and flaked barley, but the stout spout lessens a lot of the carbonic bite that a normal pour has, although the normal pour seems to have a slightly more intense nose.

Left - normal pour; right - stout spout
RxJOOU7.jpg

lmvOiY4.jpg

I think I nailed a TH style IPA. I made dank hop juice and it's great. Super resinous and oily with a huge tropical/citrus flavor profile. Imagine hop hands but danker. Columbus is seriously an underrated hop. It's like smelling bag of raw mosaic/columbus pellets. Dank. Juicy. Creamy. It tastes exactly like something TH would make. And it's murky as the day is long. Thanks wheat flour!

6gal, 1.062 OG

5.5 lbs CMC pale
5.5 lbs CMC pils
1.5 lbs Flaked Oats
1.5 lbs Briess White Wheat
0.5 lbs Whole wheat flour

Mash 152F 60 min

1oz Azacca 10.3%AA 5 min
1oz Mosaic 12.3%AA 5 min
0.5oz Centennial 11.3%AA 5 min
0.5oz Columbus 13.2%AA 5 min
1oz Azacca 10.3%AA 20min whirlpool @ 185F
1oz Mosaic 12.3%AA 20min whirlpool @ 185F
0.5oz Centennial 11.3%AA 20min whirlpool @ 185F
0.5oz Columbus 13.2%AA 20min whirlpool @ 185F
4oz Azacca 3 day dry hop
2oz Columbus 3 day dry hop

1L starter of 1318.

120ppm Sulfate, 100ppm Chloride

uhAc8Qs.jpg

I brewed this last weekend without the flour dumped trub yesterday and took a sample. Tastes great already and I haven't even dry hopped yet!

When did you put your dry hops in? After primary finished?

I brewed this last weekend without the flour dumped trub yesterday and took a sample. Tastes great already and I haven't even dry hopped yet!

When did you put your dry hops in? After primary finished?

Dry hopping is one of the things I'm always messing with but I usually do it when I go to keg.

This is just Pils, Wheat and carapils and heavy late, dry hoping and no finning, tastes like creamy OJ. Ilive in New Zealand so noooo chance of trying any Vermont style beers (unless you wanna trade some cans for some NZ hops ;) )

Got a recipe? I have made a couple of NE style, but I think I had contamination issues with my 1318 as I went from dryhopping and smelling like orange juice to losing every single hop note in the beer. After my third failure I gave up (brewed every few weeks so took sometime to get to tasting the first round).

I have to say I read this thread and a couple on Tree House beers these styles really are where I want to go with my IPA's and enjoy pretty much everything these breweries are pumping out. I tapped this Friday night and this is absolutely on the right path. The taste is a nice balanced light bitter with huge juice flavor of grapefruit and other citrus but no overpowering it plays well with the malt. Last night I tried a Lights On by Tree House and sampled mine right after... my beer was in the same category really looking forward to playing with this schedule again and different hops

10 lbs Pale 2 - Row
.5 lbs Honey Malt
2.5 lbs Flaked Oats

Mash 152F 60 min

1oz Citra 5 min
1oz Mosaic 5 min
1oz Amarillo 5 min
1oz Amarillo whirlpool
1oz Mosaic whirlpool
2oz Citra whirlpool

2oz Citra 4 day dry hop
2oz Mosaic 4 day dry hop

conan Yeast

I like Amarillo but I don't use it enough. I'm brewing an east meets west coast pale ale today. 70% CMC pale, 20% white wheat, 10% flaked oats, 1318, etc. OG 1.054. Chinook, Centennial and Columbus hops. 100ppm Sulfate, 180ppm Chloride. Should be interesting!

HopHands Re-brew

I really enjoyed that first batch, I think it lasted maybe 2 weeks which is pretty good for an APA/IPA considering the wife usually wants nothing to hoppy beers. I would have brewed this sooner but lacked space in the kegerator. The last batch was slightly over attenuated at 1.008 and lacked some body which I chalked up to a lowish mash temp (152). So for round 2, I upped the mash temp in hopes of hitting 1.011-12. That did not happen (due to likely Brett C infection from the original starter), with a FG of 1.005 after 11 days.

Brew Day Notes: 30 APR 2016

80% MCI Stout Malt
20% Organic Flaked Oats (American)

Mash Temp: 154 F
75 Minute Boil
Meas. O.G.: 1.056
Est. F.G.: 1.012
Act. F.G.: 1.005

Collected 7.7 gallons of 1.040 Wort
Boiled for 75 minutes
1/2oz UK Phoenix @ 60
Whirfloc & Brewvint @ 15
1/2oz UK Phoenix (10.7% AA), 1/2 oz US Cascade (6.3% AA), 1/2 oz US Amarillo (8.3% AA) @ 5 min

Chilled to 190F for 30 minute Whirlpool
1/2oz UK Phoenix, 1oz US Cascade, 1 1/2oz US Amarillo
175F after Whirlpool
Chilled to 65F oxygenated 60 seconds pure O2
Pitched most of decanted 2l starter of 1318/????

Femented at 66 with a steady ramp to 72 F after 48 hours of primary

Dry hops added after 7 days
2oz US Amarillo, 1oz US Cascade, 1oz UK Phoenix

10May2016
The chilled sample is very fruit forward with a big hop nose, moderate bitterness that is amplified but the low finishing gravity. Slight dank/ resinous pine on the tail end from the UK Phoenix which helps mellow out the almost belgian like esters of ripe banana. Color and haze are right on point with this style. Almost no body to speak of, with proper carbonation this could pass as a fantastic Saison but still falls short of what this beer is supposed to be. Needs a few more days primary to clean up the yeast profile but all in all a great beer. I don't see this lasting too long so another attempt with a fresh pack of 1318 is in order.

JG4OzNzl.jpg

After a long wait I finally brewed this today. Been meaning to ever since I read about this clone on your blog. Coming from Switzerland, I've never had one of these East Coast IPAs, so I can't wait to try it.

This was the first brew where it seems I'm starting to hit my stride. Also the first brew on my new 3500W induction plate, which was awesome - 15-20 mins to reach strike and then boil temperature.

I forgot to check if I have enough oats and of course I didn't, so I only did 10% flaked oats and substituted the rest with more pale ale malt. Also I have some Amarillo to use up so I increased the Amarillo portions a bit.

I lost more water to the grains and the boil than expected and ended up overshooting the OG to 1.063. I diluted the wort with water to get down to 1.048. Hope that works out.

I usually do a no-sparge BIAB, but if I brew this again I'll probably do a dunk sparge. I don't think you get out all of the oatmealy goodness without sparging.

Pitched 1L starter of WY 1318 and set up the fermentor at 19° in the basement. Fingers crossed!

Photo 16.05.16, 13 39 48.jpg

Lol troof. BTW ill trade some beers for NZ hops!

I agree, its really not necessary. I dont understand why people feel the need to add flour, unless of course youre going for something like Tired Hands Milkshake beers where they are intended to be as murky as possible to poke fun at beer reviews.

Tried the hydrometer sample yesterday and was surprised by how bitter it tasted. I only used 13g Chinook as FWH for 15L. I hope it balances out when conditioned and after the massive dry-hop I added.

I brewed this up yesterday. Almost forgot the oats. Remembered it as I documenting the recipe(5 minutes into the mash). DOH! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

This yeast is nuts. Or maybe it's because I built up my water from RO. Using a blow off there was not much action when I went to bed at the 7 hour mark. But this morning at the 17 hour mark it was a steady flow of CO2. Not really bubbling just flowing. Same thing tonight. I've never experience such a fermentation and I've used some Belgians and Hefe yeasts.

Back