Clogged space below false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

i have recently built a mash tun using keg and false bottom acquired from Norcal. Yesterday, I brewed my first batch using new equipment. I have false bottom as well as supporting metal stand in the middle. The space below false bottom was completely filled with grain due to the mixing with the paddle. However, those grains were not able to get through supporting stand and to get out through the dip tube. Should I open some bigger holes in the supporting stand in order to be able to get those grains out during recirculation?

Best

No. You don't want to recirculate grain particles.
It sounds like your crush was too fine... you don't want particles below the FB.

I just use a stainless steel scrubbie and put it under the inlet where my false bottom pulls the liquid from so that way it acts as a filter and won't clog or let hardly any grain through.

Hi guys,

in my personal opinion I should provide a path for particles below FB in order to get rid of them and recirculate until they are out of the space below FB. I didn't have last time problem with clogged dip tube.

Back