Clogged Hop Spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmassey9

Reaction score
Hello all. I got a pump/chiller setup a while back and before too long the chiller started getting clogged on high hop volume batches. So I bought a 6x10 stainless 300micron hop spider. First batch had clogging issues. I would pull it out of the wort and the hop spider just held the wort(clogged), had to scrape sides to loosen, took ten minutes to drain... Used a variety of hops.

Fast forward to yesterday. After one batch of clogging issues I thought I would take out the hop spider at knockout, dump/sanitize, then insert for my hop stand additions to hopefully prevent clogging. My only boil addition was .5 ounces of mosaic at 15 minutes. I pulled out the spider at knockout, and it was CLOGGED WITH .5 OUNCES. What's going on????

I'm under the impression that this may be a protein issue? Let me tell you why. It clogged with .5 ounces in the scenario above. After I got the batch down to 170 degrees for my last hop stand, I dumped/scraped/cleaned again and put back in BK, fresh and unclogged. At this point I believe most of the protein had fallen out because I then dumped 3 ounces of mosaic in the spider, ran my recirculating wort back into the hop spider (which people say don't do because it will clog) AND I HAD NO ISSUES WITH CLOGGING WHATSOEVER.

Hoping someone can help cure this headache. PLEASE.

I've been having problems with my hop spider clogging too. I haven't found a solution, other than I keep a stainless steel spoon in the spider during boil to scrap the sides. But I usually only have problems with it clogging with larger amounts of hops. I did a Belgian dark strong ale over the weekend with 3 oz of hops with no problems. The IPA I did before was a headache.

Any other thoughts? Again my big problem is that the hop spider clogs when I pull it out. I also notice that even with a .5 ounce addition that the inside of the hop spider stops boiling and recirculating and only measures 209 during the boil. So obviously it appears that it's being clogged before I even pull it out. It seems like there's been a whole lot of hot break in the BK recently. Do I need to be boiling harder or softer or something to minimize? Again I think the protein is my big issue, not the hops.

You should always boil hard. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the hop spider so see if he has suggestions? I have been meaning too, but usually don't use a lot of hops so its not been too much of an issue. I also have noticed the the wort doesn't seem to boil as hard inside the spider, but never checked the temperature difference.

I've had the same clogging problem with mine. I've also noticed that the wort within the hop spider doesn't seem to be boiling. I can only assume the hops are isolated within the clogged filter and not being fully utilized. I wasn't able to find a solution, so I've stopped using it.

I have a SS spider and I know what you are referring to, but I wouldnt get too worked up over it. I do a lot of IPAs with over 16oz in the boil/stand... If I were to pull my spider out at any given time, yeah, it will retain wort. But giving it a stir every once in awhile or during hop additions do just fine.

I recirc with it right in front of the port, and once everything if in the fermenter, the spider is completely empty. IF you are still retaining a good amount of wort after the final transfer, well that is an issue to be concerned about. But if you are only concerned with it retaining fluid when immediately pulling it from the boil, I wouldnt worry.

Here is a pic of mine.

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

I have a SS spider and I know what you are referring to, but I wouldnt get too worked up over it. I do a lot of IPAs with over 16oz in the boil/stand... If I were to pull my spider out at any given time, yeah, it will retain wort. But giving it a stir every once in awhile or during hop additions do just fine.

I recirc with it right in front of the port, and once everything if in the fermenter, the spider is completely empty. IF you are still retaining a good amount of wort after the final transfer, well that is an issue to be concerned about. But if you are only concerned with it retaining fluid when immediately pulling it from the boil, I wouldnt worry.

Here is a pic of mine.

Thanks man. I think I'll just resist the urge to touch it and hopefully it drains as I'm transferring to the fermenter.

Back