Clogged dip tube - I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2.5 gal keg full of ginger beer that was fermented in said keg.

After a few days of burping, I put it on tap and it was serving but extremely over-carbed. I took it off tap, cleared the headspace completely, shook it, then re-connected it. Now it won’t serve at all.

I took apart and cleaned all relevant lines. I even took it off again and used a second tank I have to push CO2 through the out post hoping to clear it. I can’t figure out what’s causing this. All other beers are serving fine. I’m assuming I’ll have to empty it into bottles or another keg.

Any ideas? No more keg fermenting for me. It was my first go.

This doesn't answer the immediate problem, but next time try putting a top draw setup in the keg. I've done this for ferment & serve in keg and it works well.

not nesseccarily. My first few keg ferments were with a normal, full length dip tube. I had no clogs but was able to harvest much yeast.

but I did fully screen all the wort before it went in the keg.

When hooking the gas to the liquid out, did you pull the pressure release? Guessing you did some of these but for the sake of mentioning...

If tank is purged, do you hear gas going in when on gas in side?
if tank is purged, do you hear bubbles when hooking up gas to the liquid side? and what pressure are you trying.

If you can hear gas going in on either, maybe hook it up to a cobra tap to rule out serving faucet being an issue. Maybe also verify its holding gas and not leaking out somewhere else and losing pressure for serving.

Being a corny, probably no big deal to just pull out the liquid post (after purge) and verify its not clogged and just hit it with some star san before putting back in keg

When hooking the gas to the liquid out, did you pull the pressure release? Guessing you did some of these but for the sake of mentioning...

If tank is purged, do you hear gas going in when on gas in side?
if tank is purged, do you hear bubbles when hooking up gas to the liquid side? and what pressure are you trying.

If you can hear gas going in on either, maybe hook it up to a cobra tap to rule out serving faucet being an issue. Maybe also verify its holding gas and not leaking out somewhere else and losing pressure for serving.

Being a corny, probably no big deal to just pull out the liquid post (after purge) and verify its not clogged and just hit it with some star san before putting back in keg
I didn’t hear it bubbling, but it definitely took gas because I had to release pressure a few times to pop it open safely. I just finished up a brew, and while doing so was siphoning out of the keg directly to a glass.

I’m going to try to polish it off tonight while I have some guests over then take apart the dip tube to clean it.

Back