Clogged beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCNbeer

Reaction score
Does anyone know a certain pressure or technique to clear a clog in the out post or a clogged beer line? I'm new to kegging and have the dual tap system from midwest. I have an apple-wine in one keg (which is doing just fine) and a Belgian pale ale in the other (which is not flowing out of the keg).

The belgian pale ale got a little infected (my first ever infection in 6 years of home brewing) because I left it in a bucket for far too long. I'm in the military and had to go to this school and couldn't transfer the beer, oh well. It actually taste pretty good, nice and tart. So, when I transferred it to the keg, I tried to avoid the white little islands that were in it. So, one theory I have is that the post is clogged with chunks of crap.

When I put this beer in the bucket I used Fermcap-S and that might be the cause of the little white cake islands. I'm only guessing that the beer is infected, its only a tiny bit sour and it's very drink able. Maybe you're not supposed to keg beers with Fermcap-S in it, I know that it is supposed to settle at the bottom.

Maybe it could be a poppet valve problem? If that's the case, how to I go about cleaning it with the keg carbed?

I want to just crank up the gas and blow the crap out! The beer line is full of beer it just doesn't pour!

Did you try disconnecting the QD at the post and Reconnecting? maybe it would shake something loose. I've never had the same problem so i wouldn't know about blowing out the line with excess pressure.

However I don't see anything wrong with bringin it up to 30 psi for a second just to try and clear the line as long as you bring it back down to your serving pressure if it fails. Oh, and be prepared for a mess if you do it that way.

Next step would be to swap the beer lines to the other keg and see if it runs to figure out if the problem is in your QD or the keg post. If it's the QD the just take that appart and clean it.

If its the post the next step would be to shut off your gas to your keg and use the relief valve to depressurize it. Then take the post off of the keg and check the dip tube and poppet valve.

by then you should have found the problem and just put everything back together and re-pressurize.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Ok, so, its been forever since I've been on this site and when I went to check my post I saw a link to some other similar post and found some info from them. I put the gas on the out tube and blasted it with CO2 and then put the beer line back on and poured the beer into a bucket (it had a bunch of junk in it) and then poured some into a glass. This beer isn't perfect yet, I suspect that I'll have to blast it again to clear a future clog, but I'm glad I got it fixed.

Has anyone out there used Fermcap-S and had any problems with it?

Just carefull doing that. Ive heard nightmares of people getting the QD's stuck on the wrong post. They do not have the same size connections from what I hear. I've heard of one guy getting the gas QD stuck on the out post whilst it doused him in beer. Film it just in case next time though so it will at least be worth the laugh.

-Dustin

Back