Clearing up cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoLeggedPirate

Reaction score
Asking this on behalf of my parents who decided to tried making cider.
The recipe was as simple as could be:
Heat treat apple mush. Add water. Allow for natural yeasts to find its way. Let it ferment.
And the result is in attached pic(Think the process was started june maby. Bottled august/september)

The liquid itself is very clear, however, you've got these lumps(of which I don't know the english name) left in there.
Doesn't seem to be anything malignant, but coming to the actual question at hand:
Is there any way to clear it out or maby avoid it in the first place(for next time).

Attachments

• 6756949092742_n.jpg
    6756949092742_n.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 38
That doesn't look all that healthy.....

Never seen anything like it, so no opinion. The clarity of the rest of it is nice. I've never heard of doing a cider using the process you describe. Usually cider making is done using a pressed liquid with very limited amounts of solids. If there are a lot of solids then pectic enzyme should be used to bind with it and drop it out of solution. Also racking off the cider after initial primary fermentation will leave behind a lot of the solids. Any heat would be used to pasteurize, but that doesn't sound like what your parents did. No idea why they heated their mash.

Back