Clearing of Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhabermann

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a few quick questions: During the Vorlauf stage, I can never seem to get rid of all the little particles. Is this normal? What is considered large piece of grain material?

Secondly, when you transfer your wort into the fermenter, do you just open your valve on your kettle or do you siphon? Do you still whirlpool if you use the valve?

Thank you!

Dont worry about the particles. Your always going to have some make it through. When transferring to primary fermenter I just open the valve and let it go. I really don't worry too much about the trub, although I do try and leave most behind in the kettle. Again, inevitably some make it through but then settles out and is left behind in the fermenter. I usually use irish moss and end up with good clean beer with very little haze.

Whirlpooling will help as long as the valve does not pull from the center of the kettle. You can also use whole-leaf hops in a grant or hop-back on runoff to act as a filter. There are a lot of factors to clear beer, trub usually isn't a final-product clarity issue.

Hello,

I have a few quick questions: During the Vorlauf stage, I can never seem to get rid of all the little particles. Is this normal? What is considered large piece of grain material?

Secondly, when you transfer your wort into the fermenter, do you just open your valve on your kettle or do you siphon? Do you still whirlpool if you use the valve?

Thank you!

Try adding some rice hulls to your Mash. They will help to filter out the smaller particles.
What are your efficiencies like?

Hello,

Thank you!

Many people get hung up on getting all the particles out and think that clear wort is needed. It isn't. The main thing is to get the larger particles back into the mash tun. Little particles will settle out in the fermenter when the ferment stops.

I open the valve on my kettle and then dump the rest in.

You will get people that say don't do that and you will get people that do, but the main thing is variance in techniques can still produce great beer.

If you whirlpool, you can get a metal ring that sits in the center and catches all the gunk in the kettle. http://www.hastingsbrewworks.com/trub-trapper/

Of course you can always fabricate your own too.

Latest posts

Back