Clearing an Already Bottled Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StiefelHund

Reaction score
Hi All,
Last year I made my first melomel (raspberry). After several months in the secondary it wasn't clearing so I decided to bottle it. After 10 months in the bottle it has dropped clear, but has left a ton of sediment at the bottom, making clear pours essentially impossible. Last night I poured through a coffee filter and the glasses were clear.

So, I had a crazy idea.... empty the bottles through a sanitized strainer into a keg, purge with CO2 and re-bottle with my Blichmann beer gun. Assuming I'm careful with sanitation and limit oxidation as much as possible, is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Any input is welcome. Thanks

Hi All,
Last year I made my first melomel (raspberry). After several months in the secondary it wasn't clearing so I decided to bottle it. After 10 months in the bottle it has dropped clear, but has left a ton of sediment at the bottom, making clear pours essentially impossible. Last night I poured through a coffee filter and the glasses were clear.

So, I had a crazy idea.... empty the bottles through a sanitized strainer into a keg, purge with CO2 and re-bottle with my Blichmann beer gun. Assuming I'm careful with sanitation and limit oxidation as much as possible, is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Any input is welcome. Thanks

It would work- but you would oxidize the heck out of it even if being careful.

One way to deal with the sediment is simply to use a decanter at serving time. Decant the mead into the container, in one single pour, leaving the sediment behind. Or do the coffee filter thing then, with just that one bottle, at serving time. Then you won't ruin it.

Back