Clearing a beer in the keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brieuxster

Reaction score
I will relax wait and have a home brew, but while doing that, wondering, will that carbonated beer clear up any more?

Generally the beer is clear, with the addition of gelatin, then carbonated. This time I let it sit in a Corney, racked it into another keg and set it in the keg fridge with co2. Now I pulled a glass and it is kinda murky, tastes fine, not attractive.

The first couple of pints are going to be cloudy. As the keg sits in the fridge it is doing the same thing as 'crash cooling' a fermenter. The beer is clear in the keg, but the bottom of the keg has all the gunk that 'cleared' out. After a couple of pints you'll have picked up the gunk near the dip tube and the beer should clear up nicely, (as long as you don't go moving the keg around).

I don't ever add an gelatin or clearing agents to my kegged brews and after the first glass or so they come out clearer than any other beer I've ever bottled. The scottish that I brewed a while back looked murky in the primary and I just went into the keg, primed in the keg, chilled for a week, and Clear beer.

i never use gelatin or anything except a whirflock tablet in the boil. when you rack to secondary, 97% of the solids have fallen out. when you rack to a keg/bottle, only what you stir up with your racking cane will be transfered. after a good cold crash, my beers are almost always crystal clear.

If the keg doesn't clear after a week or so, you can fine in the keg itself, but I found that that's not always ideal, because you'll be sucking up the fining sludge for a few pints, and whenever you move the keg around. The most effective way to fine in the keg is probably to do it in a keg with a shortened dip tube, let it do its thing, and then rack to another keg via a jumper hose (i.e. connecting the kegs via their beer-out posts and pushing the beer with CO2 from one to the other).

Latest posts

Back