Clear then cloudy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryt415

Reaction score
hi i racked 2 wines one welchs and one apple cider 1 day apart and added bentonite and the welchs was 3/4 of the way down clear..and the apple was about half(about 5 days have passed) and then i started using my wood stove so that room mine wine is in dosent get heat...woodstove is on other side of the house. well i went in to check on it yesterday(wine temps now are 55f and it normaly was 68f) the apple had cleared completly but now has like 1,000 little suspened balls of (bentonite?) but cant really see them with out shineing a flashlight through it. and the welchs looks like it went in reverse and is now cloudy again..but there is a layer of bentonite in the bottom of both of them so it has settled out..what should i do...i stuck a heater in there this morning to heat it back up to 70f wine is now about 65f again but looks the same...any ideas?

After it's done fermenting (and at 1.000, I wouldn't think it is, but with the bentonite addition, I'm confused about where you're at), you can cool the wine down a bit. That's called "cold stabilization" and helps the wine drop clear. The key is a steady temperature, though, not up and down. Once you find a temperature you can maintain, the wine will be fine.

no the wine has been @ .995 for a while and i did this exact same batch with bentonite and when it was clearing it just moved down (the clear area) everyday until it hit the bottom then i bottled and drank :) but this one like i said got 3/4 of the way down and the last couple nights it got cold and now is like i never added bent..i could see my windows pretty clearly threw the carboy now i cant the only thing that changed was the temp..like i said the apple cider cleared up almost all the way but has little balls suspended in it(im sure will sink eventually) but i herd keep wine warm when adding bentonite on several sites...maybe this cold with un settled bentonite messed up something...(they still taste ok :)) and the bent has settled so maybe ill just rack it off and let it eat..last batch the bottles had a little of sediment in them this has to be better since i hit it with the full dose of bentonite instead of the dose for 3gals i just dont understand how it could be crystal 3/4 of the way down and a few cold nights now i cant see through it ?

Back