Clear My Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondra76

Reaction score
Wanted to get folks input on clearing my beer.

I have a belgian strong ale in the fermenter right now. It's been about 40-50 days and I am thinking about moving it to the keg. I've noticed it's still pretty cloudy and I want to try to figure out if there's anything I can do to clear it up a bit. I'm against the gelatin idea just because I've heard stories of it stripping some taste out of it. I'll live with the cloudiness if I have to debate those two.

Does anyone use any tablets in the keg or other methods? I never really whirlpooled my wort before but in the future I definitely will be.

I use Biofine Clear which is made out of an acid that is vegan friendly and doesn't strip out flavor. You could also cold crash. If it's chill haze then it will eventually clear out in the keg

I use Biofine Clear which is made out of an acid that is vegan friendly and doesn't strip out flavor. You could also cold crash. If it's chill haze then it will eventually clear out in the keg

+1

I used Biofine Clear for the first time on my last batch. I poured the first pint last nite and it's remarkably clear for a dry hopped IPA that was brewed 2.5 weeks ago. No flavor problems from the Biofine either.

Also, Belgian golden strong yeast strains don't floculate worth a damn. If you really want clarity then you need to cold condition for a long time, use finings, or filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Another vote for cold crash, if clarity bugs you. A lager phase won't hurt a Golden Strong at all. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, cloudy but tasty is all that matters.

I cold crashed and used gelatin on my IIPA. The bottle I tried last night had some chill haze, but it was only in the fridge for about 8 hours. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395507349.876115.jpg

Now, I mostly use whirlfloc and a whirlpool after brewing instead of post-fermentation clearing, and found that to result in higher clarity in a shorter period of time. If things still aren't clear after fermentation, cold crash is the first step, followed by gelatin, all in the keg. In time, most things will drop out anyway though.

Personally, I think you'll strip some flavour from the beer if you try to clear it. As I'm sure you already know, Belgian Ales should be cloudy. The suspended yeast add so much flavour that makes this style so unique. Belgians poured from the bottle should be given the swirl and pour method to get the yeast back into suspension.

Belgians poured from the bottle should be given the swirl and pour method to get the yeast back into suspension.

NOOOOOO, they shouldn't. Swirl up a Hefeweisen all you want, but do not pour all that yeast sludge into my glass.

NOOOOOO, they shouldn't. Swirl up a Hefeweisen all you want, but do not pour all that yeast sludge into my glass.

I guess you've never been to Belgium. The swirl and pour is customary pretty much in all corners of the country. I know it is most often not practised in North America but it certainly is in Belgium.

I have been all over Belgium, and the rest of Europe for that matter, and I have not seen this to be customary at all.

Personally, I think you'll strip some flavour from the beer if you try to clear it. As I'm sure you already know, Belgian Ales should be cloudy. The suspended yeast add so much flavour that makes this style so unique. Belgians poured from the bottle should be given the swirl and pour method to get the yeast back into suspension.

Do not swirl up the yeast!

I guess you've never been to Belgium. The swirl and pour is customary pretty much in all corners of the country. I know it is most often not practised in North America but it certainly is in Belgium.

I've been to Belgium many times, and never seen anyone swirl up the yeast. Barenders also pour carefully to get clear beer in the glass, and leave the yeast in the bottle.

Do not swirl up the yeast!

I've been to Belgium many times, and never seen anyone swirl up the yeast. Barenders also pour carefully to get clear beer in the glass, and leave the yeast in the bottle.

Well, I don't know what to say about you being to Belgium and have "never seen anyone swirl up the yeast". Apparently my experiences have been vastly different from yours.

I'll take it one step further to add that I have seen on many, many occasions the bartender pouring the beer, swirling the yeast and pouring the yeast into a shot glass and placing it beside the beer. Leaving the choice up to the consumer to throw it in the glass.

Don't discount the idea of swirling and pouring with Belgian Ales. You might be surprised that more people actually do this despite your experiences.

I don't believe that swirling is appropriate for all Belgian styles; however, there are some where it is desired. So you guys are likely both correct.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to help me clear my beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back