Clear IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree55Topz

Reaction score
Hello! So I did my first all grain ipa batch but it didn't turn out exactly how I planed. What I want is an ipa that's pretty clear with a brown, reddish color. Similar to maybe a dogfish 60 min or Sam Adams latitude 48. I use 13lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch, and used a mixture of 2-row, 60L, 40L, and carapils. The mash went well but I think my steel hose filter wasn't working correctly because there was plenty of grain in my pot and even after fermenting for 2 weeks the grain never settled into the trub. The color came out similar to an apple cider and it tastes good but the hazy color is really getting to me... Question is, how can I get a clearer ipa? Maybe only use 10lb grains? Get a better mash filter? Thank you for any input!

You might want to try and cold crash it. I don't know if you bottled or kegged it yet. If not, try and put it in a fridge for a few days.

I would before. By the way, did you vorlauf? When you first start draining into your boil kettle, drain about 2 qts into a pitcher then gently pour back onto your mash.

yeah, i must have vorlauf'ed for aut 20 minutes :( thats why the amount of grain floating around was confusing

If you want it to look like Dogfish head with a little reddish tint try Amber Malt instead of crystal 60 and 40. Yooper has a clone recipe that uses 6 oz of amber with 13 pounds of 2-row pale malt. As to grain getting in your fermentor, maybe try making a CPVC manifold. They are cheap and easy to make - or maybe try redoing what you are using. I put my manifold in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and tie it off so no grain can get to the manifold at all - no stuck sparges and vourlaufing is almost unnecessary.

I can't imagine how a SS braid is passing grain? Did you crush the end closed? A typical braid is pretty fine and should not allow much if any grain at all passed?

How much crystal malt did you use? 40 or 60 should impart plenty of color at 5% of the total grain IME.

maybe you did not get good starch conversion in the mash and is causing haziness in the beer. your ph might have been off or your temps may not have been steady.

Question is, how can I get a clearer ipa? Maybe only use 10lb grains? Get a better mash filter? Thank you for any input!

Cold storage / Cold conditioning will help clear the beer.

I have had plenty of $6 - $7 pints of very tasty NOT clear IPA's lately out at the pub, clarity is no longer a major concern of mine FWIW.

Cold storage / Cold conditioning will help clear the beer.

I have had plenty of $6 - $7 pints of very tasty NOT clear IPA's lately out at the pub, clarity is no longer a major concern of mine FWIW.

agreed. for me taste is first and my hazy beers are usually the result of very heavy dry hopping and not wanting to wait for the haze to drop out and miss out on the flavor.

You could add gelatin as well, that will help improve clarity. Of course, if you've already got it in the bottle it's a moot point on this batch.

Latest posts

Back