Cleaning stainless steel fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankCazabon

Reaction score
IMG_20230524_102345.jpg
I've got scum in my stainless steel fermenter that I've been unable to remove. I've soaked with PBW and scrubbed with a plastic/nylon scouring pad but neither has worked. Any ideas what else to try?

As horrifying as it sounds, I use a Brillo pad or SOS pad on my stainless steel kettle. And for all my stainless steel cookware.

IMO, the issue of regular steel getting entrained into the stainless steel isn't a problem since there is no heat build up with a using a piece of steel wool in a water cooled environment as there is when using steel rotary brushes with a power tool and creating a lot of heat build up between the two metals.

3M's advertisers were very successful in getting us to misunderstand this when they sought to promote their green abrasive pads back in the 60's and 70's.

If you happen to not rinse well you might see a little rust around a particle of the steel wool left behind, but it's not going to be in the stainless steel, just on the surface and it will usually just wipe off.

Thanks. I always thought the problem with using a Brillo pad or other metal is that it might result in scratches in the fermenter that could harbour bacteria, etc.

Thanks, not easy to find where I live and Amazon seems to have a bunch of options. Is there any one of these recommended?

https://www.amazon.com/bar-keepers-friend/s?k=bar+keepers+friend
I'm astounded by the pricing range of these products. In the hardware store here in the U.S. I can get a 12oz container for around $2.00.

This offer shows a picture of the product you want to use, same as in @sibelman's post. The image on the label may vary somewhat, but it's the "cleanser" (a powder) you're after. No need for "cream."
That one also seems to be the best price ($2.49), but will likely vary depending on your location, and where it ships from:
https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-...r+keepers+friend&qid=1685023360&rdc=1&sr=8-48
Put some of this on a soft wet cloth. [...]
I've been using a damp nylon "non-scratching" scouring pad with some BKF sprinkled on it. It takes some elbow grease, as soaking alone won't remove the beer stone deposits, it needs mechanical friction.

I find adding a handle to the pad makes it easier to work with and scour. For that I just "tack" a piece of such nylon scouring pad to an old worn nylon dishwashing brush or other hand brush, which has the bristles mostly worn off or flattened. Remember, I'm after the handle, not the bristles.

I'm astounded by the pricing range of these products. In the hardware store here in the U.S. I can get a 12oz container for around $2.00.

This offer shows a picture of the product you want to use, same as in @sibelman's post. The image on the label may vary somewhat, but it's the "cleanser" (a powder) you're after. No need for "cream."
That one also seems to be the best price, but will likely vary depending on your location, and where it ships from.
https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-...r+keepers+friend&qid=1685023360&rdc=1&sr=8-48

I've been using a damp nylon "non-scratching" scouring pad with some BKF sprinkled on it. It takes some elbow grease, as soaking alone won't remove the beer stone deposits, it needs mechanical friction.

I find adding a handle to the pad makes it easier to work with and scour. For that I just "tack" a piece of such nylon scouring pad to an old worn nylon dishwashing brush or other hand brush, which has the bristles mostly worn off or flattened. Remember, I'm after the handle, not the bristles.
thanks much!

Thanks, unfortunately I'm in Trinidad in the Caribbean and that link only does North America.

View attachment 820793I've got scum in my stainless steel fermenter that I've been unable to remove. I've soaked with PBW and scrubbed with a plastic/nylon scouring pad but neither has worked. Any ideas what else to try?
Use a magic eraser. It is gentle and will not score the stainless steel but will get rid of the scum that PBW won’t touch. I have also used citric acid to clean calcium & lime off the stainless surface. Both things are great to solve the problems.

Use a magic eraser. It is gentle and will not score the stainless steel but will get rid of the scum that PBW won’t touch. I have also used citric acid to clean calcium & lime off the stainless surface. Both things are great to solve the problems.
Thanks, I didn't know what a magic eraser is. Never heard of it but Google and sibelman came to the rescue.

I have got some citric acid so I'll try that, thanks again.

Citric acid could be terrific, as could oxalic acid, the main ingredient in BKF.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser may work well but I don't think I'll be using it in the brewery. The Proctor and Gamble MSDS I found is silent on its composition but this Wired article gives me pause about any food/drink applications.
Thanks, if the citric acid I have didn't work I'll see if I can find oxalic acid.

Of course those places that Google says has bar keepers friend here don't actually have any.

Back