Cleaning QD's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
How often does everyone clean their QD's? I've pushed about 7-8 kegs through my two tap kegerator since I got it this summer. I clean lines and faucets after every keg. But how often should I tear apart the gas and liquid QD's to clean and sanitize? My 5# CO2 tank is about empty. Figured while swapping CO2 tanks would be a good opportunity to clean the QD's.

I keep a keg of a sanitizer full at all times. Before I tap a new keg I hook up the santizer and push a bit through the lines. Keeps the system fairly sanitary. I break everything down every two months and I replace all my lines every year whether they look dirty or not. When I break everything down the taps get a pbw soak and then a sanitizer rinse.

Cool, thanks.

I actually use one of these. http://goo.gl/a8yKU1

Allows me to use a 2-liter PET bottle to push BLC through my lines, then clean water, then sanitizer. Quick, simple and effective.

I guess the better question is, with that type of regimen that I do after every keg, is it necessary to disassemble the QD's to clean them? Or is the line cleaning sufficient enough to clean the QD's at the same time?

If you are pushing cleaner through the QD I would say you are fine. I break mine down from time to time. Usually when I only have a couple on tap and have couple empty I will disassemble because I have down time between inventory.

Back