Cleaning plasma cut keggle. Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandRiverZip

Reaction score
I had some kegs cut by a buddy of mine with a plasma cutter a couple weeks ago. I didn't put water in em, (hindsight 20/20) and had cleaned them out and removed the spears prior to his cutting. When I picked them up, the inside looks like the cloud of smoke from the gas coated much of the interior of the keg. With tiny slag particles attached to the side. I am just getting around to them, so they've had a couple weeks to let it sit on there...

Last night I used some bar keepers friend and a scotchpad, to minor success. The inside is still discolored. The couplings haven't been welded, but I drilled the holes, and I now realize I got the keg to hot, I can see that color distortion in it now. I plan to scrub some more with Barkeepers Friend, and grind a bit if I need to, hopefully I can get it back to brewing shape. I should have taken a picture- I'll do that, I'd appreciate an opinion in anyone else had recooped on of these......

I hear Bar Keepers Friend and scotch brite pad will clean up the smoke and knock the slag off that hasn't adhered to bad.
A chisel used like a scraper will knock the tough slag off.
Last resort, a flap wheel on a 4 1/2 grinder will clean anything off your keg.

try a stiff wire hand brush, or a softer wire wheel grinder attachment. you will have to use some muscle to get some of it off. worry about the discoloration after, that is easier to remove.

barkeepers friend will take all the discoloration off with enough soaking and scrubbing. it also forms a passive oxide layer on newly exposed steel, so its good to let it sit on the metal for a bit after grinding or scraping the surface.

try a stiff wire hand brush, or a softer wire wheel grinder attachment. you will have to use some muscle to get some of it off. worry about the discoloration after, that is easier to remove

Again I recommend reading that other thread before trying that.

Mcmurray said "I had the same issue and learn from my mistakes... do not use anything to clean the inside that is metal!!! I used a wire brush to remove the slag! BAD IDEA! "

no dont use wire wheel!!! it will embed particles in steel and will rust forever. scotch brite pad and bar keepers friend.

before bar keepers friend and scotch brite
2011-04-20_09-30-48_662.jpg

after scubbing still some slag may need sand paper or chisel for tiny bits of slag that wont come off
2011-04-20_11-38-34_879.jpg

Again I recommend reading that other thread before trying that.

Mcmurray said "I had the same issue and learn from my mistakes... do not use anything to clean the inside that is metal!!! I used a wire brush to remove the slag! BAD IDEA! "

ive done it to 3 kegs and it worked perfectly fine for me. i have no idea what that guy did to embed pieces of the wire brush in a stainless steel keg. maybe he had an old aluminum one, or didnt clean the metal particles off well enough...

ive done it to 3 kegs and it worked perfectly fine for me. i have no idea what that guy did to embed pieces of the wire brush in a stainless steel keg. maybe he had an old aluminum one, or didnt clean the metal particles off well enough...

it didnt happen to me. ive just heard that and wanted to throw it out there that it could happen. i guess you can try but why risk it if you dont have to.

so those gator grit pads will be ok for inside? i have these which is pretty much the same thing i think. will these be ok?

2011-04-20_12-53-28_683.jpg

That is the same pads I used and it turned out get.

@ Audger, I didn't try the wire brush in mine but I did clean the edge with one. The brush pieces that fell inside the keg left spots that I had to work extra hard to get out.

wow arent you fancy i got the crappy powder BKF i didnt see that bottle mite look next time. so did u cover it with a paste of just a light covering?

When you buy any stainless cooking pot the tag will state "do not use metal brushes or pads"

Back