Cleaning lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpablo

Reaction score
I've had to dump a few gallons recently because of an infection that I traced back to dirty lines. I should have replaced them months ago but never got around to it. I'm wondering what people do about cleaning them to prevent the infections in the future. I often end up with a fair amount of hop sediment in my lines just because I always try to squeeze as much wort as possible out of any given batch. The reaction I generally get is "just buy new ones," which may be the right answer. Does anyone have any other strategies? Does using brushes just scratch them up and create little love nests for bacteria and critters? I've seen something called a dip tube brush that's for kegging that I thought might do the job as well, but don't know if that's worth it. Thanks!

I just replace them. For the price, it just makes sense.

If the lines are infected, by all means, replace them. But I have this keg line cleaning brush I clean all my racking, bottling & blow-off tubes with; http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/cleaning/brushes/NHCB38.html This one's for 3/8" lines, but they have smaller diameter ones as well. I use it with PBW to clean the tubing. It doesn't seem to scratch, as I've had no infections from them.

I've had to dump a few gallons recently because of an infection that I traced back to dirty lines. I should have replaced them months ago but never got around to it. I'm wondering what people do about cleaning them to prevent the infections in the future. I often end up with a fair amount of hop sediment in my lines just because I always try to squeeze as much wort as possible out of any given batch. The reaction I generally get is "just buy new ones," which may be the right answer. Does anyone have any other strategies? Does using brushes just scratch them up and create little love nests for bacteria and critters? I've seen something called a dip tube brush that's for kegging that I thought might do the job as well, but don't know if that's worth it. Thanks!

You're talking about beer line in a keggorator, right?

If they're too far gone, yes, replace them.

But my cleaning regime goes a little something like this:

As I'm cleaning kegs I fill one keg (that has already been cleaned of gunk, etc.) full with hot water and oxy/PBW. I run that keg through the lines into a bucket. I made a manifold so that I can do all of them at once.

Then as I'm rinsing the kegs I fill one that has been very well rinsed with hot water and run that through the lines.

Then when I'm sanitizing the kegs I fill one about 1/3 full with star san solution and run that through the lines. But I don't leave the star san in the lines. If I have a keg I'm hooking up I'll run that through to push the star san out, if I don't I use a little more hot water.

Oh, but I've wondered, how likely is it for an infection to travel back trough the lines and into a keg of beer when everything is at a relatively cool temp? I try to avoid issues but have considered this a pretty low risk situation.

I have the same issue if I have an IPA or something dry hopped on tap. It leaves almost a greenish hugh in the lines. I usually soak them in hot water for an hour or so and then blow them out. I've read about using kegs and c02 to flush them out but I don't want to waste the c02 on cleaning.

There's a thread on here somewhere about a diy hand pump someone made for cleaning their kegs and lines. Maybe search for it and check that out?

If infections are traveling up-line and into the keg then I'd say there are issues to be addressed, anyway. Nonetheless, if I'm hooking up a fresh keg immediately after pulling an empty then I'll fill a clean keg halfway with hot sanitizer and push that through the line and faucet before hooking up the fresh. If I'm not replacing the empty right away (I have a three faucet keggerator) then I'll disconnect the line altogether and soak it in PBW in the empty keg I just pulled. I'll also spray PBW, then water, then sanitizer through the faucet.

--
th Cap'n in Portland, Oregon

Cleaning keg lines is necessary every batch of beer IMO. Unless you have a party and kick a keg in a day or two. If you have traced back to an infection from your lines, might as well rip them out and start over. If you wanted to save them, I would do a shock and awe campaign with bleach. 1 Tbsp of bleach per gallon of cool water. Let them soak for 20-30 minutes while full, and then rinse well a few times with hot water & Starsan.

As far as how I clean mine. After a keg kicks, I rinse it out a few times and fill near the top with Oxyclean and hot water. I hook it up to my keg system and run about 1/2 gallon through the lines. Then disconnect and let both the keg and lines sit with Oxy overnight.

Then I have one of these that I made (see link below) that I rinse out the Oxy with hot water (saves Starsan and/or CO2). Then fill the line cleaner with Starsan. I let the lines sit for 10-15 minutes with that, and then pump it out until only air and a little foam come out. It can now be used with a new keg, or it can sit empty if I don't have anything ready to go. I have had much better tasting keg beer once I finally got it down, so I know my lines used to be dirty.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/

If you are talking about keg lines then just build the DIY beer line cleaner on this site and clean your lines / taps occasionally. I hook it up halfway through a keg and when the keg kicks usually. Takes 15 minutes or so to clean and rinse. Costs $25-30 to make if you don't have a spare keg post.

That's a neat idea! That'd make cleaning my racking tubes, blow-offs, etc way easier to clean. Might just build one!:tank:

That hand pump and my immesion chiller are my favorite 2 DIY home brewing projects I've made. Fair disclosure, they are the only 2 DIY HB projects I am currently using :)

Hi everyone - Thanks for the quick responses and sorry for my slow reply. I don't do much in the way of kegging, my operations have been pretty much stripped down to the occasional 1 gallon batch. I'm guessing the 3/8 line hose cleaner is what I'm looking for. Appreciate the feedback.

Oh not kegging, then its a little different.

I'd be heistant to put something through my lines that could scratch the internal surface (where bacteria/wild yeast could hide in the future). I threw away my carboy/bottle brushes a long time ago. I do a 24 hour Oxyclean soak of all equipment and that usually cleans up everything (as long as you get it soaking right away before the crud dries). StarSan for sanitiizing.

A new racking hose is probably under $10, so that remains your safest bet. 1 Tblsp of bleach per gallon of cool water will kill just about everything in 30 minutes. Then a few hot water rinses and you are ready for StarSan just to make sure.

If your getting infections in your beer I would look at other things besides your lines. I push star san through mine with some c02 and haven't had any problems with them, and if I did, yes I would replace them. I keep extra hose around anyway.

Sometimes infections can take a few weeks to show up in a beer. Bacteria and wild yesat aren't going to crawl through the tap and into your line, they got there from your beer in all likely hood. Now i will say that a dirty infected line could spoil some beer in the keg....maybe; but not what's going into your mug.

Just some food for thought there.

Edit:

Also wanted to say that I'm not trying to blow this off, I understand how frustrating it can be to have infections ruin your beer. I've dumped out 30-50 gallons over the years due to them, bottom line is it SUCKS. Hang in there, go over your process again and again, you'll figure out the problem eventually. And who knows? Maybe it is just those lines, but I kinda doubt it.

The long brush I use to clean my lines hasn't scratched them & caused any hiding places for nasties. Since they're cleaner inside, it isn't a problem, as the beer is only traveling through them for a short time.

Back