Cleaning keg after possible infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallDan

Internet Hobo - Sheepmaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back in October, i made a cider with nothing but freshly pressed, unpasturized cider directly from an orchard and yeast. It had been improving with age in the keg for most of the time. I hadn't had much of it for a couple weeks until i poured a couple glasses on NYE. To me it just tasted off and was drinkable, but not great, but my wife says it tastes like vinegar and only drank a couple of sips before dumping it. Good news is that there can't be very much left in the keg, I'm sure we drank most of it when it was in it's prime.

My normal process when emptying a keg is to rise, PBW if it appears soiled/stained, then starsan. Normal process is line cleaner run through the line and faucet soaked in line cleaner. Will that be sufficient to safely use the keg and line again or should i do more?

It will most likely end up being a personal decision on how much is enough when it comes to cleaning. If you ensure that you clean the hell out of the keg, including scrubbing pickup tube and the spout you should be fine. Just don't use bleach.

Back