Cleaning EXTERIOR of glass Fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigo

Reaction score
Thought I'd post this in a different thread for topic sake.

What's the best way to clean the exterior of glass fermenters for clear viewing? I was about to put them in the tub with oxiclean but figured that was expensive.

The outside of your glass fermenters should always be perfectly clean. Are you not cleaning them when you clean the inside of your fermenter?

You should be scrubbing the outside with a good scotch pad with anything at all that will get it clean, including oxiclean.

mostly dirty just from PBW solution spilling out when I clean the inside. From what I've read the best way to get this off is a vinegar solution or Starsan solution? Yes?

Some of the others have been in storage for a few months where room mates have spilled stuff on them like soda and pantry stuff. Now that its time to bring them out again it is time to clean.

I've got some hard water stains on the outside of one of mine when I immersed it in a heated cooler over last Christmas break and the water level slowly dropped due to evaporation.

CLR works great.

mostly dirty just from PBW solution spilling out when I clean the inside. From what I've read the best way to get this off is a vinegar solution or Starsan solution? Yes?

Some of the others have been in storage for a few months where room mates have spilled stuff on them like soda and pantry stuff. Now that its time to bring them out again it is time to clean.

Were you able to get these clean?

cleaning them tomorrow afternoon Hugh Jass. Gonna clean them in the shower and what was left behind by the PBW stains I will use a vinegar or starsan solution. I will post again on wednesday to let you all know how it goes. Thanks for checking in.

Mr Clean magic eraser .. Takes everything off no need to soak just a damp eraser. I use a sharpie on my glass carboy and SS kegs to keep the brews straight and after just a few wipes and its off.

Back