Cleaning corny kegs between batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolsen

Reaction score
I was just cleaning to keg just my second batch by keg. I've always taken apart and cleaned and sanitized absolutely everything while I was bottling but I'm curious, does everyone also break corny's right down, or is it to much of a concern that an o ring will become damaged when you are about to fill. I myself was a little concerned so I'm going to be ordering more back up o rings and poppets and I'm taking my chance with not breaking it right down. Just a little concerned about damaging my next 10 gallons

As soon as a keg kicks, I immediately clean it. I remove the lid, posts and dip tubes, hit the tubes with a tube brush, clean the lid and its o-ring, flush out the posts, hot water rinse everything including the keg itself, then hit everything with some Star-San in a spray bottle, and finally reassemble everything with a fresh film of keg lube on all o-rings.

It's definitely OC, but it gives me the warm and fuzzies...

Cheers!

I don't tear it down like that. I probably should do it more often, but I fill it part way with oxyclean and water, scrub a little, dump and refill all the way with oxyclean and water. Put the lid on and put some pressure to it and run a little oxyclean water through it ( and the tap hose and tap ), let it soak. Next I dump it, put water in and rinse.
Follow up with star san and do it again.
Fill it up with beer and try to empty as quick as I can.

I don't tear it down like that. I probably should do it more often, but I fill it part way with oxyclean and water, scrub a little, dump and refill all the way with oxyclean and water. Put the lid on and put some pressure to it and run a little oxyclean water through it ( and the tap hose and tap ), let it soak. Next I dump it, put water in and rinse.
Follow up with star san and do it again.
Fill it up with beer and try to empty as quick as I can.

I should break down and clean more often. I'm a 4 batches through each keg (3 kegs) since last full dip tube post removal. I clean my guns after each shooting session, why wouldn't I clean my kegs??? lazy I guess. I will do all kegs next week spend some time getting every nook and cranny. that being said only last porter tasted a bit "off" and it may have just been a new yeast I wasn't used to.

Latest posts

Back