Cleaning Copper Burs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
So heres the deal. I just finished cutting, drilling and piecing together my new sparge arm for my mash tun. Basic 3 row (manifold style) sparge arm with 1/16" holes drilled every 1.5cm. No heres my question, the inside of the copper is all smooth and shiny, but since I drilled the holes, it pushed burs inside. Does anyone have a good way to smooth/clean those out without shoving a piece of sandpaper down there? Or is sand paper ok? I just dont want to scratch the inside a bunch and give bacteria a place to hide. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

You would be boiling after anyway so that would kill any nastys that might come from hidden crevices.

Be careful here!

Take a wire coat hanger, twice as long as your tube.
Fold it in half.
Take a knife blade or something, and lay it in the fold......This is here to leave a gap when you twist the coat hanger up to the knife.

Twist the free ends of the coat hanger, up to the knife blade, with fairly tight, ( re: closely spaced twists).

Remove the knife, square up the "free" ends of the coat hanger with some wire cutters, ( aka: "dykes")

Get a piece of coarse emery cloth, fold it in half lengthwise, so that abrasive is always exposed, and slip in the slot where the knife used to live.

Take your cordless drill, on LOW SPEED, and chuck the free end of your setup in the drill.

Stick it in the tube, and start SLOWLY to spin it up, until you get the feel for it.

You have just made a "butterfly" de-burring tool, used for tubing, bushings, bushing bores, etc.......

NOTE: if you pull it out of the tube, with it spun up, don't say I didn't warn you, as it will slap the HELL out of you!

But it WILL de-burr that tube!

another option would be to get a piece of dowel just slightly undersized for the tubing. Get the emery cloth and spray some of the 3M spray adhesive on it. Chuck it into your drill and insert and go at a low speed. First option would be a round metal file though.

Back