Cleaning Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ Kevin

Reaction score
I saw a few threads about cleaning a carboy after fermentation, but my question is a bit different. I haven't used these is quite a number of years and they have calcium on the inside. I tried brushing them with very little luck and then bleach. Same results. I have now attempted vinegar with warm water. I am awaiting the results of that. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks for any tips.

Glass carboys can be scrubbed with some Barkeeper's Friend or even Comet.

Plastic ones will scratch when brushing, so remove calcium deposits only by dissolving with an acid. You could add a small rag to it and swish, for some extra friction in stubborn/hazy areas.

Glass carboys can be scrubbed with some Barkeeper's Friend or even Comet.

Plastic ones will scratch when brushing, so remove calcium deposits only by dissolving with an acid. You could add a small rag to it and swish, for some extra friction in stubborn/hazy areas.

These are glass. I was concerned about using something like Comet or other cleanser, but this may help. I do have a bottle brush that connects to a drill. I wasn't very impressed with it at first, but with the vinegar, it may do the trick. Thanks.

I saw a few threads about cleaning a carboy after fermentation, but my question is a bit different. I haven't used these is quite a number of years and they have calcium on the inside. I tried brushing them with very little luck and then bleach. Same results. I have now attempted vinegar with warm water. I am awaiting the results of that. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks for any tips.
Did you get it cleaned I have a stubborn one the vinegar helps but I still have calcium stains going to try more vinegar to see if it looks better second time

Thanks for any tips.
These are glass. I was concerned about using something like Comet or other cleanser, but this may help. I do have a bottle brush that connects to a drill. I wasn't very impressed with it at first, but with the vinegar, it may do the trick. Thanks.
Did you get it cleaned I have a stubborn one the vinegar helps but I still have calcium stains going to try more vinegar to see if it looks better second time

Try a cup or so of straight vinegar without water and "roll" the carboy to coat the inside. Should do the trick.

Latest posts

Back