cleaning carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
Just transferred to secondary and cleaned and rinsed by glass carboy. Actually rinsed out really well. Do I need to clean it with pbw first and then rinse with star san or is the star san good enough? It looks clean already just rinsing and a little carboy brush work, but didn't know if the pbw was absolutely necessary.

When in doubt Oxyclean! It works wonders. I've had nasty carboys and you just fill it with warm water, and put in a scoop of Oxyclean and let it sit for 20 min, you just dump it out and then rinse it out with water and your good, no need for brushing.

Then you just starsan it

Edit:** Make sure its the Oxyclean Free

Get it it clean now with PBW or Oxy. Sanitize with Star San just before using again.
Store with some foil on top or a cap.

I just wash mine hot with hot water to get the majority of the krausen leftovers off the side and the yeast cake out. Afterwards, I soak with oxyclean for 24 hours. Rinse, store dry, and sanitize before use.

And be very careful with a slippery wet glass carboy. We do not want to read a thread about a visit to the ER.

Plastic, IMScO is the only way to go.

(In my scaredy cat opinion)

I fill the carboy about 1/3 of the way with warm water and PBW. Then I put a full rubber stopper (no hole for the airlock) on it, and roll it around on my carpet to get all the major stuff off :mug:. I'll usually let it sit on it's side for a few min, roll it 1/3 of the way, repeat. At first I was filling with some PBW, bear hugging it, and shaking it. Probably not the best idea considering how slippery they can be.... and a full rubber stopper is cheap!

I just rinse mine out. If anything is being stubborn I use my carboy brush.

**There is absolutely no need to waste your star-san during cleanup**
Star-san is not a cleaner and no matter what, you are going to sanitize it before you use it next time anyways.

BrewingRugger said:
I clean my carboy after I use it and then clean it again and sanitize it before using it.

This. Generally. The initial clean is the most important, but lately it's so late at night that I settle for a super rinse clean. Dry completely, then stopper until that carboy goes back into production. Then I do a good soak with PBW, rinse well, Star San, and no worries.

I rinsed out the cake on the bottom w/several cups of water & swirled it around & the majority of the bottom cake came out.... then i put a couple cups of warm water, half cup-ish of rice and several spoons of baking soda & swirled it around up top... & looks as good as new.... then again.... i'm a noon at this so... yeah

Back